Broken Computer

G

Alright my computer's psu fan bearing broke so i decided to buy a new case. I bought a Coolermaster RC335. After i moved the components from one computer to the other it didn't start at all. Nothing showed on the monitor and the monitor displayed no signal detected.

The fans were spinning and the motherboard power light was on so i was pretty sure it wasn't the motherboard, although not that sure as i dont have a huge knowledge of computers. A few processor pins were bent so i thought this was probably the problem. I bought a new processor and I also bought new ram at the same time.

After i installed this still nothing showed on the screen, however the cd drive turned on and was able to open. I read a few solutions and one said the voltage might be wrong. So i stupidly switched the voltage from 220 to 110. I pressed the power button and huge sparks came from the computer and a burnt smell too. Now im fairly sure i've broken the psu but im not sure if i've broken anything else.

Is there anyway to know what the original problem was and anyway to fix it? Also is there anyway to know if i've fried my PSU and all my other components.

Current Setup
Asus M2NMX SE+ motherboard
AMD 6000+ processor
4 gig Kingston 800 ddr2 ram
Gigabyte 2400 Radeon Pro
330 watt thermaltake psu
BenQ E2200HD Monitor
Vista Ultimate 64 bit
WD 750 gb hard drive (SATA)

any help is appreciated!

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Use a paper clip to test your PSU. Make sure the voltage selector is set to the proper value for the circuit in your house.

If it is not working, I'd recommend replacing it with an Antec Earthwatts 380W.

Also visually inspect your other components for any sign of burn marks or other damage.

Once you have a working PSU, assemble the mobo, CPU, one stick of RAM and video card outside of the case on a table or piece of cardboard. Connect the PSU and monitor and power it up. Post your results here.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

The OP already bought a new CPU.

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

I thought he bought a new cpu then said they were bent. I read it wrong. Might have fried the motherboard or anything else by switching the power mode. Burnt smell = bad. Sometimes if you don't have the ram in tight enough nothing will happen.

G

I did this. My PSU is dead. No other components look fried which i guess is a good sign :) I used my old PSU to do the test. Just like earlier nothing showed on the screen, however the cd drive turned on and was able to open and both fans were spinning. The power light on the case was also on. I dont have my onboard speaker setup i don't think so im not sure if the ram is properly connected. Could it just be this?

Geowil

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
hm, possibly a bad video card?

or maybe its the monitor. does the monitor support different sources? such as analog/digital?

make sure you're on the correct source.

other then that it does sound like the video card is the issue as far as the monitor goes.

if by chance it is the ram, make sure its fully seated into the ram slots (try pushing down on the stick and see if you here a click, or inspect the locking arms and see if they are in the full upright position, if not then the ram isnt in all the way. if it is, then i am still thinking video card issue.)

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Also make sure the stand-offs on the new case are in the correct position so as not to make any shorts on the motherboard.

G

The monitor supports DVI, VGA and HDMI. I tried removing the video card and using the onboard graphics to connect to my monitor and a different monitor directly but the exact same thing happened. No picture, but power light on case was on, cd drive light was on, fans were spinning. My ram was also connected properly because after I turned it off and removed it the next time i turned it on my computer started beeping .

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
The monitor supports DVI, VGA and HDMI. I tried removing the video card and using the onboard graphics to connect to my monitor and a different monitor directly but the exact same thing happened. No picture, but power light on case was on, cd drive light was on, fans were spinning. My ram was also connected properly because after I turned it off and removed it the next time i turned it on my computer started beeping .

When my ram is not fitted properly but detected it will just fail to post or do anything. It could be video card too. Do you have another system you can try out parts on to verify if it is one part or another?

Geowil

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Runmymouth got it in before I could finish writing my essay <.<

even if the ram is detected, there may be some underlying issue with it that causes the computer to not post.

but, i still think your video card is the most likely suspect at this point.

as Runmymouth suggested, try replacing it with a different card that you might have lying around or by an inexpensive one just to test it with.

If, then, it still doesnt work you could try moving up the computer food chain.

psu
|
mother board
|
processor
|
peripherals (cards and hard drives)

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I did this. My PSU is dead. No other components look fried which i guess is a good sign :) I used my old PSU to do the test. Just like earlier nothing showed on the screen, however the cd drive turned on and was able to open and both fans were spinning. The power light on the case was also on. I dont have my onboard speaker setup i don't think so im not sure if the ram is properly connected. Could it just be this?

Did you do it the way I said, out of the case, only 1 stick of RAM, CPU, video card, no HDD, no CD?

G

The HDD and CD were still in the case but they were both completely unplugged. Everything else was as you said to do it.

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

This is also a common error, I don't know if this beeps though if it doesnt have power to the cpu.

bonanzaguy

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Do you have another set of RAM you can try? This seems like a RAM problem to me. Possible it got jolted by the PSU, especially if it's only rated for low voltages.

G

Alright i bought a new mobo and psu and all seems to be good. The ram wasn't faulty so i think it was the Motherboard the whole time.

only problem is that i haven't backed up any of my files. Is there anyway to install my new motherboard etc without re installing and formatting all my files?

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
the files on the hard drive are not effected by the motherboard. It should recognize everything and you should be able to just pull them off. I would also recommend after recovering your files to reformat the hard drive so that no legacy drivers are competing with each other.

Geowil

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Alright i bought a new mobo and psu and all seems to be good. The ram wasn't faulty so i think it was the Motherboard the whole time.

only problem is that i haven't backed up any of my files. Is there anyway to install my new motherboard etc without re installing and formatting all my files?

cool, glad to see you got it figured out.

troubleshooting a kind of issue like that can be a nightmare sometimes.

with the mb, all you have to do is install the drivers for it if it's not the same make as your old one. if it is the same then you dont have to do anything with it.