[SOLVED] Broken CPU Fan

Feb 17, 2019
During some cleaning, i accidentally broke one of the CPU cooling fan's blades. When starting up my computer the fan now made a low grinding sound, and slightly vibrated. Will i still be able to use my computer? or are there any free solutions to this?

Solution
Nope. New fan needed. Might find a used one somewhere free, but that particular fan is now junk.
Just like the overhead fan in the living room, it's perfectly balanced, literally the blades are weighed. So when it spins, there's no wobble to wear the bearings out. By using glue, you add weight to one side, it's going to wobble and change the pitch of the blade, adding undue stress on the glue, probably re-break shortly thereafter. The resultant wobble will grind on the bearings and last hours to days with use.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope. New fan needed. Might find a used one somewhere free, but that particular fan is now junk.
Just like the overhead fan in the living room, it's perfectly balanced, literally the blades are weighed. So when it spins, there's no wobble to wear the bearings out. By using glue, you add weight to one side, it's going to wobble and change the pitch of the blade, adding undue stress on the glue, probably re-break shortly thereafter. The resultant wobble will grind on the bearings and last hours to days with use.

Solution