[SOLVED] Broken CPU pins = no power to PC?

demomorgon

Commendable
May 31, 2020
So here's the issue.. I went to do some maintenance on my PC as I've done many times before, I carefully dusted the inside components and my goal was to reapply the thermal paste which I am no stranger to doing. I have a ryzen 5 3600 and an MSI B450M mobo. After all was said and done, I plugged my PC back in and booted it on and the LED turned on and the fans started spinning, however, there was no display on the screen and the PC was stuck endlessly rebooting after about 30 seconds.

I went back to inspect the PC and I wanted to make sure that I had the CPU sitting correctly, and noticed that it was kind of lifting on one side and not snapping into place as it should. Upon inspecting it, there appeared to be some damaged pins and even a couple of missing pins. Earlier when I had taken the stock cooler off the CPU had come with it which hasn't happened to me before and I fear that in the process it destroyed some of the pins. I reassembled the PC again and it is showing absolutely no life now. I press the power button and nothing happens. No fan spins. Zero power.

My question is, would broken cpu pins equal absolutely no power to the computer at all? I have dealt with damaged CPUs before and have at least gotten the fans to spin upon pressing the power button. I even tried with another power supply and I have the same issue.

I'm just contemplating whether or not by some freak accident I damaged a different component too. I just want some advice from someone a little more experienced than me to tell me that I'm over analyzing it and that the CPU is just royally dead. I ordered a new one just now but my income stops there so I'm just hoping that will end up solving things.

Solution
Hi demomorgon.

It's totally the CPU. If you said "1 pin missing" maybe it could have worked but you said "couple of missing pins".

demomorgon

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Hi demomorgon.

It's totally the CPU. If you said "1 pin missing" maybe it could have worked but you said "couple of missing pins".

Yeah the pins are looking really rough.. there are some gaps and I honestly can't even tell if they are completely missing or bent out of shape completely. But nonetheless I don't see how I could have destroyed other components simply by dusting with some condensed air. Thanks for the reassurance. I have a new cpu on the way.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Yeah the pins are looking really rough.. there are some gaps and I honestly can't even tell if they are completely missing or bent out of shape completely. But nonetheless I don't see how I could have destroyed other components simply by dusting with some condensed air. Thanks for the reassurance. I have a new cpu on the way.
The funny thing about pins is that you never know the problem you may get when one is missing. Sometimes it'll seem to work perfectly, maybe you'll lose a ram channel, maybe you'll lose a pcie slot, or maybe you'll just short the cpu and destroy it, you never know.