Broken External Hard-drive - How to recover data?

Chazza2014

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
I have a Verbatim 3.0USB external hard drive that was working fine until today. It was plugged in and the computer recognised it and was working fine. Then the computer lost its connection with it. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and now it won't light up. It seems completely dead. I have tried using a different cable and plugging it into a different computer but nothing is working. I really need to recover some data from this that I had not yet backed up. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Solution
It depends how much that data is worth, you cant recover it yourself if the drive is dead. You have to pay a professional and its not cheap at all
Hi there Chazza2014,

I would agree with the other guys and say that you should contact a data recovery firm. You can't be sure what is wrong with it. I would not recommend opening it.
The price range for data recovery deviates on the amount to be recovered, what is wrong with the drive, etc. So, it will be a good idea to contact them and get more information on that.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

JustRon

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
It could be the little IC board inside the external hard drive case. Open the case, remove the hard drive itself, and install it as an internal drive in your computer. There's a 50/50 chance that it will work. If installing it as internal drive doesn't work, then I'm sorry but it's toast.

TRENDING THREADS