Question Broken gpu bios switch help!!!

Jan 4, 2020

Ralston18

Titan
Is the GPU working at all? If so are you able to tell which mode?

Here is what I found regarding the switch:

https://www.sapphirenation.net/sapphire-how-to-use-dual-bios

To be able to switch between modes the slide must be in place to make contact in one position or the other.

Unfortunately it appears that the switch slide itself has broken off and fallen out.

It does not appear, to me anyway, that you can do much about it.

And if the GPU is working in whichever mode, best just leave it alone.

No needles. Nothing metallic should ever be used for toggling such switches.

Hopefully there may be other more optimistic responses.

bryanc723

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
Well, if you know how to solder you could just solder the switch into the right contacts. It isn't a good option, but I don't think there are many good ones for this. Also it won't be able to switch again so it would be a permanent modification. The switch you have works the same as a set of jumpers on your mobo does. You would just be bypassing any ability to change positions after.

Jan 4, 2020
Is the GPU working at all? If so are you able to tell which mode?

Here is what I found regarding the switch:

https://www.sapphirenation.net/sapphire-how-to-use-dual-bios

To be able to switch between modes the slide must be in place to make contact in one position or the other.

Unfortunately it appears that the switch slide itself has broken off and fallen out.

It does not appear, to me anyway, that you can do much about it.

And if the GPU is working in whichever mode, best just leave it alone.

No needles. Nothing metallic should ever be used for toggling such switches.

Hopefully there may be other more optimistic responses.
sorry for the late reply i was busy with exams the GPU works fine but i cannot tell which mode is working (i think it is on quiet mode not sure though) here is some pics from gpu-z
View: https://imgur.com/a/cczKcNy

it is better to leave it alone

ohio_buckeye

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015
The big thing is that it stays cool under load. I would suggest since you aren't able to use the switch, that if desired, use software like AMD wattman, or msi afterburner to tweak the fan curve to your liking and to be more aggressive. You would need the software to run when your computer runs but at least that should help. Or you can always rig cooling by setting fans underneath it somehow to force air into the card.

Alternatively you could be like Linus. There's a thread from earlier in the week where someone had a 1070 where the fans don't work, and I found a video from Linus tech tips on YouTube where he pulls the plastic cover and stock fans off a 1070, leaves the heatsink on the card, and literally zip ties 2 120mm noctua fans to the card. Ended up being good, he said the card boosted higher than on the stock fans though. If you look up about replacing gpu fans you'll likely find his video.

Ralston18

Titan
I do not have the RX 580 GPU.

Perhaps someone using the RX 580 GPU in "normal mode" could post an image(s) using GPU-Z.

You might be able to compare the configuration settings and determine which mode your GPU is in.

Could be shown in one of the other tabs.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS