Jan 4, 2020
Solution
The big thing is that it stays cool under load. I would suggest since you aren't able to use the switch, that if desired, use software like AMD wattman, or msi afterburner to tweak the fan curve to your liking and to be more aggressive. You would need the software to run when your computer runs but at least that should help. Or you can always rig cooling by setting fans underneath it somehow to force air into the card.

Alternatively you could be like Linus. There's a thread from earlier in the week where someone had a 1070 where the fans don't work, and I found a video from Linus tech tips on YouTube where he pulls the plastic cover and stock fans off a 1070, leaves the heatsink on the card, and literally zip ties 2 120mm noctua...

Ralston18

Titan
Is the GPU working at all? If so are you able to tell which mode?

Here is what I found regarding the switch:

https://www.sapphirenation.net/sapphire-how-to-use-dual-bios

To be able to switch between modes the slide must be in place to make contact in one position or the other.

Unfortunately it appears that the switch slide itself has broken off and fallen out.

It does not appear, to me anyway, that you can do much about it.

And if the GPU is working in whichever mode, best just leave it alone.

No needles. Nothing metallic should ever be used for toggling such switches.

Hopefully there may be other more optimistic responses.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Well, if you know how to solder you could just solder the switch into the right contacts. It isn't a good option, but I don't think there are many good ones for this. Also it won't be able to switch again so it would be a permanent modification. The switch you have works the same as a set of jumpers on your mobo does. You would just be bypassing any ability to change positions after.

Jan 4, 2020
Is the GPU working at all? If so are you able to tell which mode?

Here is what I found regarding the switch:

https://www.sapphirenation.net/sapphire-how-to-use-dual-bios

To be able to switch between modes the slide must be in place to make contact in one position or the other.

Unfortunately it appears that the switch slide itself has broken off and fallen out.

It does not appear, to me anyway, that you can do much about it.

And if the GPU is working in whichever mode, best just leave it alone.

No needles. Nothing metallic should ever be used for toggling such switches.

Hopefully there may be other more optimistic responses.
sorry for the late reply i was busy with exams the GPU works fine but i cannot tell which mode is working (i think it is on quiet mode not sure though) here is some pics from gpu-z
View: https://imgur.com/a/cczKcNy

it is better to leave it alone

The big thing is that it stays cool under load. I would suggest since you aren't able to use the switch, that if desired, use software like AMD wattman, or msi afterburner to tweak the fan curve to your liking and to be more aggressive. You would need the software to run when your computer runs but at least that should help. Or you can always rig cooling by setting fans underneath it somehow to force air into the card.

Alternatively you could be like Linus. There's a thread from earlier in the week where someone had a 1070 where the fans don't work, and I found a video from Linus tech tips on YouTube where he pulls the plastic cover and stock fans off a 1070, leaves the heatsink on the card, and literally zip ties 2 120mm noctua fans to the card. Ended up being good, he said the card boosted higher than on the stock fans though. If you look up about replacing gpu fans you'll likely find his video.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
I do not have the RX 580 GPU.

Perhaps someone using the RX 580 GPU in "normal mode" could post an image(s) using GPU-Z.

You might be able to compare the configuration settings and determine which mode your GPU is in.

Could be shown in one of the other tabs.

Mar 12, 2021
Unfortunately, I'm in your exact situation, only slightly worse.
I just bought a used Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB (SN: A171500015272).
MZ4NhQCl.jpg

When I first ran booted it, it ran flawlessly from Displayport to my monitor. Didn't know much about the card, so didn't notice if the switch was in left or right BIOS position. I managed to get windows installed but as soon as it booted into windows the first time, it started to show artifacts on screen. Almost to the point where I wasn't able to read anything on the screen. I tried to download and run GPU-Z, but after a few seconds - black screen. Before this I made it to see a few things i.e. the name which was Ellesmere or something generic like Microsoft Graphics Controller, that made me think, Windows was not even able to identify the card correctly. From that point on both Displayports connectors were now giving no output and had to change to HDMI port.
After that and a windows startup repair, I booted into windows again and Tried to install newest AMD driver pack, but ultimately, that was where it went to <Mod Edit>. Black screen.
I turned off the system and tried to pull the switch back to the left, but it broke off the board. Ouch.
I tried to disassemble the fan sections leaving the heatsink on, but could not find the switch anywhere (neither in my case).
Now I'm unable to turn on the machine and boot - even into BIOS - without significant artifacts on the screen. After the new drivers were installed and the switch broke off, it also rendered my system unable to boot into Windows. Cannot boot into safe mode or reach any workable screen of windows to be able to run DDU.
It just gets into auto-repair mode, thinks for 10 seconds and then black screen (with artifacts all over the screen). So i wiped my M.2 drive with Secure SSD wipe (BIOS function).

All of this is so discouraging. I suspected it's a really faulty VBIOS running right now with completely off settings, (possibly even mining settings?) but can't boot into windows and flash it from there. The fans are running fine at every startup, so no issues there. (can't figure out if they correspond to silent or performance profile).

But what to do now?
The weird thing about this is when I go to BIOS under Graphic Output Protocal (connected via HDMI), it states this:
AMD Radeon Ellesmere Graphics
AMD GOP x64 Release Driver Rev. 1.61.0.15.50. Jan (???)
Yh4lC6o.jpg

My current plan:
1) reattempt to install Windows 10 on main NvMe SSD and attempt to flash this stock BIOS:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/191898/sapphire-rx580-8192-170323
through GPU-Z or AMD VBFLASH utility

If that doesn't work, my alternative plan is:

2) Install Unbuntu Live on second storage and flash vbios the above vbios rom by downloading AMD VBFLASH utility.

3) Can DDU be run from MS-DOS booted from a USB? Perhaps that will solve the artifacts issue and perhaps I should do this first?

I really hope one of you can provide me with a solution or guide me in the right direction.

Attached a few screenshots for reference.

My system:
Ryzen 5 3600 (No OC, though I tried the Game Boost mode).
MSI B550 Mortar Wifi
2X8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL-16 in dual channel mode
M.2 slot: Samsung PM9A1 SSD PCIe 4.0 NVMe - 512 GB
2. storage: PNY CS900 120 GB
BeQuiet! System Power B9 600W
Monitor: Acer ED273A 144 Hz monitor (VSYNC capable)

Last edited by a moderator: