Question Broken gpu or psu?

Mar 16, 2023
I boudgh a used rx 580 it was working fine until a overclocked it too much after the overclock my pc turns on for a split second then turns off my psu is 600w the pc turns on with a diffrent graphics card and when i do tego plug in the 8 pin into the 580 is there any way to fix it?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Psu vero l3 bronze gpu rx580 8gb oc+

I mean the complete specs on your PC. The more information we have, the better.

This is a very entry-level PSU and it really doesn't have business overclocking anything. That it's 230V-only means serious corners were cut; I think it's been decades since there was a high-quality 230V-only PSU.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well my motherboard is asrock a320hDvs and cpu ryzen 3 3200g is there a way to get the 580 working on my pc

The GPU may be dead if this works with another GPU (What other GPU specifically?). You shouldn't have been overclocking on this PSU and in practical terms, overclocking an old, used GPU in the best of circumstances is almost all risk and almost no benefit.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The other gpu is a 1050 ti

It's likely just the GPU is dead, but it's no guarantee the PSU is fine, either; the 1050 Ti requires less power. You ought to be able to confirm the GPU part of the problem if you know someone else who can test the GPU or have a local shop. Given the relatively low quality of the PSU and an unexplained problem, I'd never trust it again on a GPU that requires supplementary power.

I honestly believe that it's your card. Sure, that PSU isn't going to win any awards but the fact that it's 80+Bronze-Certified means that it has to be at least decent and 600W is more than enough for your system specs. I agree with DSzymborski about overclocking a GPU that old. It's a crapshoot and the odds aren't in your favour.

I have a philosophy when it comes to buying PC parts and that is to never buy a part that you'll want to overclock immediately. If you can't get the performance you want or need from a part at stock, you shouldn't be buying it in the first place, you should be getting something better.

Overclocking is best when used to extend the life of a product so that you have time to get its replacement.

If the PSU turns for a split second to ON and then goes into protection, the card might be shorted.. probably VRM got cooked from OC- ing which causes the card to draw more power and generate more heat which goes out of the cooling capabilities of the card.

Overclocking is best when used to extend the life of a product
Topic starter just proved the opposite... it only nears the end unless it comes with some heavy modifications. Overclocking is for DIY enthusiasts.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS