Broken GTX 480

Apr 2, 2013
So i got a cheap gtx 480 off ebay but it had an issue where it kept crashing whenever it was being heavily utilised.

when i got the card i put it my work pc and tested to see if the card worked fine. it booted and drivers installed correctly.
i then booted up heaven and within about 1 min performance dropped drastically.

i installed msi afterburner to see what was going on and there was no temp readout or fan rpm readout. (the fan was spinning)
after sifting through loads of gpu control software i finally found one with a temp readout (hwinfo 64) but still no rpm readout.) when i reran the benchmark the 480 got to 109 degrees and the fan did not speed up. just span like it was idle.

i have installed old and new drivers (used ddu also) re applied thermal compound. used a different pc and still no rpm readout. is this 480 shot?

Solution
I'd say that several sensors on the graphics card have ceased to function, and without sensors the fans won't spin up, not even security measures will work. Since you seemingly already cooked it at 109°(C?), I doubt it'll be usable anymore.

And even if you could repair it by somehow managing to replace the sensors, it probably won't be worth the effort.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
I'd say that several sensors on the graphics card have ceased to function, and without sensors the fans won't spin up, not even security measures will work. Since you seemingly already cooked it at 109°(C?), I doubt it'll be usable anymore.

And even if you could repair it by somehow managing to replace the sensors, it probably won't be worth the effort.

Solution
Apr 2, 2013

probably would have just gave up but the gpu functions perfectly fine during average use. i have had it in my work pc for a month with no issues( im using it right now). it runs about 52-60. is there any way to manually control the fan even if the sensors are dead?

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Manual fan control should be possible. Not sure where Nvidia put that feature though. If you don't find it, just use MSI Afterburner or a similar third-party app to do it.

But it doesn't sound all too good. If I had to guess, you'll probably still see crashes even at 100% fan speed, because the GPU is likely damaged. But perhaps you're lucky and it'll work - gotta try at least ^^

Apr 2, 2013
iv also tried aida 64 , gpu z and speedfan aswell.
i ran furmark and after 2-3 mins temps reached 97 degrees. i stepped it and everything went back to normal. its like only the fan sensor is gone.
i also checked bios version and as far as i can tell its also running the newest bios.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Well, only solution I can think of then is to unplug the fans from the GPU and plug it into the motherboard or another fan controller using an adapter - if those exist, not 100% sure - to control fan speed manually