[SOLVED] Broken HDMI, replace with 8k dp to hdmi?

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
Hello

I have a oldish HDMI that gives 4K @ 30Hz. This cable is broken but I have wedged the cable in a way I still get an image to my TV.

I am going to replace my Graphics card and my tv but not in this current financial place…

so, should I get an 8k cable?

I am going with Displayport to hdmi about 10m length will be generous here. What would be the cheapest way to do this?

Solution
any newer series card will still offer at least 1x HDMI 2.1 port offering up to 4K 120Hz.
HDMI is backwards compatible so you can just get a 2.1 cable and run this to the TV for now and still use it to it's full extent later on with the new hardware.
am going with Displayport to hdmi

i've seen way too many reports of bad converters/adapters in these types of situations for me to recommend anyone going that route.

even with an HDMI 2.1 cable make sure you see plenty of customer reviews stating that it offers proper 2.1 bandwidth for 2160p @ 120Hz with HDR enabled.
there are hundreds of sellers on Amazon alone offering HDMI 2.1, but their cables are too low quality to really provide the necessary bandwidth.
What would be the...
any newer series card will still offer at least 1x HDMI 2.1 port offering up to 4K 120Hz.
HDMI is backwards compatible so you can just get a 2.1 cable and run this to the TV for now and still use it to it's full extent later on with the new hardware.
am going with Displayport to hdmi

i've seen way too many reports of bad converters/adapters in these types of situations for me to recommend anyone going that route.

even with an HDMI 2.1 cable make sure you see plenty of customer reviews stating that it offers proper 2.1 bandwidth for 2160p @ 120Hz with HDR enabled.
there are hundreds of sellers on Amazon alone offering HDMI 2.1, but their cables are too low quality to really provide the necessary bandwidth.
What would be the cheapest way to do this?
just shopping around for the best price you can find.
there are more and more high bandwidth cables available all the time now that 4K gaming has become a bigger deal.
you may see one this week for $60 and another even better deal next week for $30.

Solution