Broken laptop hard drive repair/replacement

mptaatamt2014

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
I need a replacement laptop hard drive for my moms laptop. She does not care about rpms just as long as its cheap. Her old hard drive was a Scorpio blue 5400rpm 320gb with windows 7 home premium 2.5 inch. It had a hp spare number on it. I also need a SATA to usb converter so I can try to recover data. Needs to be cheap, too :(

Solution
Even if your mum isn't bothered about rpms, I would strongly recommend getting at the very least 7200rpm drive or even a cheap ssd if at all possible. I've rebuilt a number of old laptops this summer which, with a 5400rpm HDD were so slow they weren't useable. However, with an SSD they're absolutely transformed. You'll save yourself money in the long run.

You can get a cheap SATA-USB cable on amazon or ebay. Doesn't need to be anything super special. Again though I'd strongly recommend that if the pc you use to recover the drive has USB 3.0 ports, (they have a little ss symbol next to them), get a USB 3.0 sata cable. It'll save you time.

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Even if your mum isn't bothered about rpms, I would strongly recommend getting at the very least 7200rpm drive or even a cheap ssd if at all possible. I've rebuilt a number of old laptops this summer which, with a 5400rpm HDD were so slow they weren't useable. However, with an SSD they're absolutely transformed. You'll save yourself money in the long run.

You can get a cheap SATA-USB cable on amazon or ebay. Doesn't need to be anything super special. Again though I'd strongly recommend that if the pc you use to recover the drive has USB 3.0 ports, (they have a little ss symbol next to them), get a USB 3.0 sata cable. It'll save you time.

Solution

listen to this... yes. the upgrade, even to a cheap ssd is like a new machine.