Broken links in old articles

szederp

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Greetings,

I would like to ask what is up with a lot of broken links in articles dating back to 1997? I tried emailing the webmaster but it turned out that that mail address was dead too. Who should I inform about broken links and why is the "broken link" page not updated? It states that I should inform the webmaster

"Dear Visitor. The page you requested couldn't be found :( - If you followed a link from another Website please inform their Webmaster. If you happen to get this message while browsing Tom's Hardware please inform the Webmaster of Tom's Hardware. "

I started to read "The Graphic Accelerator Guide" posted in Jan 1997 but there are other articles with dead links as well.

randomizer

Champion
Realistically, I don't think anyone is going to keep maintaining links in 15-year-old articles. It's time that could be spent writing new ones. It seems that links to other articles do work because they redirect to the current location. It's only the links to article categories of the site from 1997 that are broken. Their current-day equivalents are most likely what you'd find by following the subcategory links at the top of this page: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/.

szederp

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Hi Randomizer,

Thank you for your answer.

However, you did not tell me who I should contact in case of broken links. webmaster@tomshardware.com is no longer valid, why is it on the broken links page?

I think there are a lot of people who come here seeking information on retro hardware so these dusty old pages DO deserve to be maintained. That is my opinion.