[SOLVED] Broken Network adaptor?

Oct 19, 2021
Hi, my new gaming PC randomly disconnected from wifi while watching youtube and Ive been unable to reconnect. At first it would sometimes show available networks, and when trying to connect would say unable to connect. Other times it would show no networks at all. I tried connecting with Ethernet, and it sometimes it says I’m connected to internet (although opening a webpage doesn’t work) and other times it says no internet access (globe with cross). When looking at the drivers, there’s a yellow triangle next to the wifi driver, and the gigabit network driver seems to be fine.

My fathers computer which is connected via ethernet is working fine, and my mothers iPad and phone are working fine over wifi, so there is nothing wrong with the modem.

Things Ive tried:

Uninstalling Ethernet and wifi drivers, then reinstalling drivers from both intel and asus (motherboard) sites. After I did this step, wifi has disappeared completely, including the setting from bottom right

Updating windows via ISO

Updating BIOS

Updating Chipset driver

Inputting all sorts of commands into command prompt from Youtube guides.

Resetting network settings

Taking apart PC and putting back together.

I wonder if the PCIE network thingy has died?

Thank you for any help and sorry for my poor english

Solution
You say this is a new gaming PC? Did your PC ever work properly or did it work properly at first, then this problem suddenly appeared after some time?

When you look at the drivers and there’s a yellow triangle next to the wifi driver, does Bluetooth have a yellow triangle as well?

Have you tried contacting the Asus online Technical Support from the support page of your motherboard?

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1015575
You say this is a new gaming PC? Did your PC ever work properly or did it work properly at first, then this problem suddenly appeared after some time?

When you look at the drivers and there’s a yellow triangle next to the wifi driver, does Bluetooth have a yellow triangle as well?

Have you tried contacting the Asus online Technical Support from the support page of your motherboard?

Solution
Oct 19, 2021

My pc has worked fine for about 6 month, then suddenly this problem happened. Bluetooth does not have yellow triangle, and my Bluetooth keyboard is working. I will try and contact asus as well, thank you :) The thing i find strange is that it says I have I internet with Ethernet (picture of screen with plug on left side) but when I open browser or steam it can’t load.
thank you!,

My pc has worked fine for about 6 month, then suddenly this problem happened. Bluetooth does not have yellow triangle, and my Bluetooth keyboard is working. I will try and contact asus as well, thank you :) The thing i find strange is that it says I have I internet with Ethernet (picture of screen with plug on left side) but when I open browser or steam it can’t load.
thank you!,
Your Ethernet can have “Limited Connectivity”. That is when your computer detects a network is present and operating, but your computer’s request for an IP address goes unanswered. You could try checking your DNS server settings.

dns-servers-address-windows-10-control-panel.jpg

Oct 19, 2021
Your Ethernet can have “Limited Connectivity”. That is when your computer detects a network is present and operating, but your computer’s request for an IP address goes unanswered. You could try checking your DNS server settings.

dns-servers-address-windows-10-control-panel.jpg
unfortunaltey that didn’t work, are there other numbers I can use instead of 1,1,1,1 and 1,0,0,1? Thank you again for the help !

Reactions: rocktalkrock
There are others like 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.2 and a number of others. These though are just DNS servers. This assumes your internet works but for some reason you can't convert names like "www.tomshardware.com" to its actual IP address. 1.1.1.1 should pretty much always work unless cloud flare goes down. Cloud flare is a major hosting site and if it would ever good down it makes the international news like it did a few weeks back.

This means you likely have a more fundamental issue.

Start with the command

IPCONFIG /all

Key here is to see if the status of the interface is "disconnected" . This generally means a hardware issue

Next see if you are getting a IP address. You should see a ip like 192.168.x.x for most people. If you see 169.x.x.x ip it means the router is not giving you a IP address.

If you get IP address you should also see a gateway IP. Try a ping command to that IP address. That address should be the IP of your router.

So if ping actually works to your router try ping 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. This will test your connectivity to one of the DNS servers and the internet and general.

If this also works then it is a much more messy problem either related to the web browser or maybe firewall policy.

Oct 19, 2021
Thank you for the post!! I reinstall windows last night from scratch, and wiped my SSD and it unfortunately didn't fix this problem. I will try again tomorrow morning with your advice and post back. :)

Oct 19, 2021
There are others like 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.2 and a number of others. These though are just DNS servers. This assumes your internet works but for some reason you can't convert names like "www.tomshardware.com" to its actual IP address. 1.1.1.1 should pretty much always work unless cloud flare goes down. Cloud flare is a major hosting site and if it would ever good down it makes the international news like it did a few weeks back.

This means you likely have a more fundamental issue.

Start with the command

IPCONFIG /all

Key here is to see if the status of the interface is "disconnected" . This generally means a hardware issue

Next see if you are getting a IP address. You should see a ip like 192.168.x.x for most people. If you see 169.x.x.x ip it means the router is not giving you a IP address.

If you get IP address you should also see a gateway IP. Try a ping command to that IP address. That address should be the IP of your router.

So if ping actually works to your router try ping 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. This will test your connectivity to one of the DNS servers and the internet and general.

If this also works then it is a much more messy problem either related to the web browser or maybe firewall policy.

Thank you for the help! I can't find where it says if the interface is disconnected or not. Under "Ethernet Adapter Ethernet" it says my default gateway and dns server are 192.168.1.1 and when I use ping for that address it fails 4 times. Does this mean a hardware problem? My windows is not in english so some of the name may be wrong. Thank you again :)

Thank you for the help! I can't find where it says if the interface is disconnected or not. Under "Ethernet Adapter Ethernet" it says my default gateway and dns server are 192.168.1.1 and when I use ping for that address it fails 4 times. Does this mean a hardware problem? My windows is not in english so some of the name may be wrong. Thank you again :)
"192.168.1.1" is your router address. Your PC connects to the internet through your router.

In Windows 10 go to "PC Settings > Network & Internet > Status" to see if you are connected to the internet. Try clicking the "Network troubleshooter" button to diagnose and fix network problems.

how-windows-10-version-2004-improves-the-network-status-information-ui-529875-3.png

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021
"192.168.1.1" is your router address. Your PC connects to the internet through your router.

In Windows 10 go to "PC Settings > Network & Internet > Status" to see if you are connected to the internet. Try clicking the "Network troubleshooter" button to diagnose and fix network problems.

how-windows-10-version-2004-improves-the-network-status-information-ui-529875-3.png
Hello again ! Thank you for the reply. That page has the same picture at the top for me as you and it says im connected to the internet, but when I open any browser it won't work. I tried the trouble shooter and it says it cant find any problems after I put in an example website URL. Also, the driver for blue tooth seem to have disappear after i reinstalled windows. Wifi still does not let me connect :(

Hello again ! Thank you for the reply. That page has the same picture at the top for me as you and it says im connected to the internet, but when I open any browser it won't work. I tried the trouble shooter and it says it cant find any problems after I put in an example website URL. Also, the driver for blue tooth seem to have disappear after i reinstalled windows. Wifi still does not let me connect :(
One thing you could try is disconnecting your router and instead plugging your cable/DSL modem directly into the back of your PC, just to see if that makes any difference.

Oct 19, 2021
One thing you could try is disconnecting your router and instead plugging your cable/DSL modem directly into the back of your PC, just to see if that makes any difference.
Thank you again for the help ! Unfortunately my parents won't allow me to interrupt the modem, as it uses something for the whole building :( Is there anything else I can try ? Sorry