[SOLVED] Broken PCIe on a GTX 1080 ti ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2021
I have a broken Asus gtx 1080 ti card, and im wondering how much it takes to fix it, and where I can get it fixed ?

Solution
Looks like you broke the power and detect part of the PCIe connector, not really fixable as that would require scraping PCB layers to expose the 12 or so signals on there and patching in a replacement PCB piece sufficiently strongly attached to survive plugging in. Hypothetically fixable but kind of high difficulty.

InvalidError

Titan
Looks like you broke the power and detect part of the PCIe connector, not really fixable as that would require scraping PCB layers to expose the 12 or so signals on there and patching in a replacement PCB piece sufficiently strongly attached to survive plugging in. Hypothetically fixable but kind of high difficulty.

Solution
Jun 18, 2021
If i would want to fix it, where could i?

InvalidError

Titan
You'd have to find a technician with a very advanced specialty background. Even if you could find such a person, they'd likely charge thousands of dollars in advance for the time required, with no guarantee of success.
I don't think the bill would reach $1000, some people repair heavily messed up boards for less and this is a relatively clean job.

That said, it'll still likely cost the better part of a new GPU of similar performance.

So the most appropriate status would likely be "beyond economical repair."

DSzymborski

Titan
I don't think the bill would reach $1000, some people repair heavily messed up boards for less and this is a relatively clean job.

That said, it'll still likely cost the better part of a new GPU of similar performance.

So the most appropriate status would likely be "beyond economical repair."

To do on your own? Maybe. But there aren't a lot of people I would have faith in for something this messy. You're a braver man than I.

InvalidError

Titan
To do on your own? Maybe. But there aren't a lot of people I would have faith in for something this messy. You're a braver man than I.
If you have the skills and tools to do it as a DIY job, as many more advanced micro-electronics hobbyists who build projects using BGA and CSP chips do, it can probably be done with $20 worth of materials and many hours of reverse-engineering the GPU's PCB enough to design and attach the patch PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.