Broken Pin Woes-----not!!

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Ok, so we found out the hard way-----that breaking off a pin(BSEL0) off a 2.4a chip to increase the fsb from 400---->533 does indeed NOT work!!!Even after "crashman" suggested not to do this on anything higher than a 1.8a, we proceeded anyway.Result: "video cable connected" message kept coming up. Even after removing all components and re installing them----same result.We know it wasn,t psu either as it's a 430w psu,and new.After playing with his now defunct system for a couple of hours, we gave it up.(he has new gigabyte mobo)This is where I miss the post reporter on an Asus board---as it would have reported a cpu error immediately. Anyway, after getting his 2.53(his backup!!)up and running fine and, AND, being told that I could take the "paper-weight" with me, off I went. So of course when I get home you know I'm going to try this chip in my mobo(gig. also)--with the same results.After thinking about what to do to revive this chip, I wondered if one were to put a "pin" into the empty hole, if this would do.So I dug out an old willy 1.6 and broke off a pin,WITH a piece of the nub, as so it would'nt fall right thru the hole....and guess what; IT WORKED!!!!!!! I could'nt believe it myself, but it posted and went right into my os. I now have an extra 2.4a( my original proc.which I had in my system.) I'm going to continue to use this chip to see how it fares. Currently have it running at 2.7 with a 35c temp.-----seems good to me!! Told buddy, but he wasn't to concerned now that his system was working anyway-----goood friend!! I'm not saying this "revival, of sorts" would work with any other broken pin problems, but if you do run into this problem---give it a shot!!! Oh yeah, IF ALL ELSE FAILS-----HEED THE THE ADVICE GIVEN IN HERE!!!!!!ADVICE IS USUALLY (99/100)TIMES, THE RIGHT THING!!!

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Heh heh. Just hope that the pin connection stays. It'd suck if someone jumped up and down and suddenly the PC crashed because the pin jostled. ;)

We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!
Without villainry and evil there is no way to even be a hero.

<font color=red>--The turkey may burn and the family may fight,
but video games are forever, so to all a good byte.--</font color=red>
<font color=green>Winter Solstice: <i>The</i> reason for the season.</font color=green>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
yes, now when the dog and cat decide to play "chase" I'm guarding my case with my foot..........it's probably only a matter of time though!! lol

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
LoL.....

Well Im glad the chip works for u....is there a way to maybe solder the pin back on ????

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I'd be a little scared to try that ----seeing how close and SMALL the neighboring pins are!!!! lol lol.

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toester on 12/23/02 07:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, you could modify the board to connect that pin on the back of the socket too. I tried to tell you I think that the 2.4A wouldn't jump to 3200MHz, did I not?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
yes you did, but boys will be boys!!!.....and besides my buddy's attitude is "no guts, no glory!!"

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toester on 12/24/02 05:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>