[SOLVED] Broken pins on AMD 3900X

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
Dear everyone,
Please advise on the following issue. I have a Ryzen CPU 3900X with broken pins. I've attached picture and with broken pins and image of CPU.
Considering that we're talking about memory and ground pins here is it safe to test drive this CPU without those pins?
I have a local shop who can put new pins on it but he tells me that he cannot guaranty that it will work.
I understand that, but as far as i am aware cpu was messed up and never actually switched on because... He was never inserted in the socket correctly.
I saw a video and ordered a donor CPU from AMD just to get some pins from it and try to test the CPU. You think it's a good idea?
Any other advise on the matter will help.

https://ibb.co/7nXB3LN

Thank a lot in advance.

Solution
Hi CountMike,

That's exactly what i've thought as well. I've ordered a donor CPU for pins and hope to get it today so i can try that method of dropping pins in empty holes to check if it works this way.
I don't think that would work, pins are shorter than socket depth and there are too many of them missing. Usual way is to insert wire(s) longer than depth and cut them to about 0.5 - 1mm above surface. If you look at CPU and socket from side, there's light shining thru.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to invest in a disposable motherboard and ram in order to test the theory out that the pins being resoldered, work, in any case, I doubt that the soldering will hold up especially when you have to lock the processor with the lever.

That, to me, looks like the CPU needs repurchasing and perhaps contact AMD about the mess you're in. They won't offer a replacement as this was very possibly user error but they might suggest something of it.

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
Hi Lutfij,

Thanks for reply. Soldering will hold just fine and if CPU is fine few cooper wires will do the trick. I was more interested if there are some ways to test cpu in its current state and if it will do some damage?

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
Hi CountMike,

That's exactly what i've thought as well. I've ordered a donor CPU for pins and hope to get it today so i can try that method of dropping pins in empty holes to check if it works this way.

Hi CountMike,

I don't think that would work, pins are shorter than socket depth and there are too many of them missing. Usual way is to insert wire(s) longer than depth and cut them to about 0.5 - 1mm above surface. If you look at CPU and socket from side, there's light shining thru.

Solution