Broken pins on Athlon 64 X2 4400

Status
Not open for further replies.

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400

I really need help. I broke off four pins off the top right sides of my processor (pins 2,3,4) can this be fixed?

Thanks

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Are the pins just bent or are they chopped off ?

If the pins are bent, just straighten them using a mechanical pencil, make sure that you don't leave behind any graphite dust, a blow of compressed air will do the trick.

If you chopped them off, may I ask what you were trying to do ?

I don't think that soldering would be an option, the heat will most likely damage the fine traces running through the packaging, window defogger repair kits may work but I don't know if that stuff has enough mechanical strenght.

You could look for electrically conductive "cold weld" products but finding them on the local market will be like a quest for the holy grail.

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Chopped off. I was trying to install the heat sink when I pulled off the heat sink the processor came off with it. I assume with help from the thermal paste.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Sheer brute force > CPU

Dum Dum Dum ! Another one bite the dust...

BTW, 2, 3 & 4 on the right side does'nt tell me much, try to locate the pins on the Socket 939 pinout diagram found in chapter 4, page 28 and 29 This document and hope for the missing pins to be No Connects...

EDIT

On closer inspection, only the left side of the AL row is populated with a number of NC pins near a corner, the right side of the AL row is mostly for memory, row A is a mix of memory and voltage related pins while column 1 and 31 are respectively for clock and memory.

Good luck, you'll need it...

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8930&feedId=online-news_rss20

they have the perfect solution for you!!!

That's absolutely irrelevant, reattaching pins to the CPU package is done many orders of magnitude above the nanometer scale, any amateur scale modeler would be able to do it if provided with a structurally strong, electrically conductive adhesive like a metal laced, two part epoxy...

Beside, even if girlD6 had access to their lab and technology, asking those scientists to reattach broken pins onto a CPU would be like asking the NASA to fix your lawnmower...

Facey

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
can this be fixed?

yes! Read this. A guy on another forum I use had pretty much exactly the same thing happen, and got it fixed:

1) Broken pin on cpu

2) Broken pins on cpu: FIXED!!!!

His fixed cpu: (I think he re bent one of the fixed pins while taking this picture lol)

I now do Processor PIN Repair.

Send the processor safely packed in a box not much larger than the original box (don't use those padded paper envelopes, they don't provide enough protection.)
Include with the processor a money order/cashiers check (cash is ok with me if it's ok with you) for $30.00 + $3.85 for shipping USD
Or use your credit card through PayPal (send PayPal to my e-mail): garyheadlee@att.net
Please, no personal checks.

For 1 to 5 missing pins: $30.00 + $3.85 for shipping USD.
For more than 5 pins E-Mail me for a quote.
If the processor fails to boot there is no charge other than return shipping (if you want the processor back).

http://motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=procrep

:)

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Beside, even if girlD6 had access to their lab and technology, asking those scientists to reattach broken pins onto a CPU would be like asking the NASA to fix your lawnmower...

c!00c!3....chill out

I asume that there are ways to repair that damage (but not knew of any of them), and I only used that to laguh at it, sometimes you have to smile to not cry

Plus.....I deserved at least a two on my comment evaluation :(

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

I asume that there are ways to repair that damage (but not knew of any of them) and I only used that to laguh at it

Bravo ! You reached absolute clulessness !

Suggesting a feta cheese based, dried tomato & basil spread or a mix of peanut butter & bacon grease to mend those pins would have been slightly entertaining, same goes for the one size fits all "Sucks to be you" but linking to an article about an experimental nanotechnology clearly demonstrate how far out of your way you are willing to go to reach the bottom of the human stupidity abyss...

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
but linking to an article about an experimental nanotechnology clearly demonstrate how far out of your way you are willing to go to reach the bottom of the human stupidity abyss...

Yes, it's called scientific investigation, in this case the scientist travels down to the last floor of the human inteligence, takes note of what he sees and then returns to the top and shares what he has learned.....making money while doing so....

Seriously, I don't know what 3V1L spirit got you, but chill out!! relax!! take some coffee for God's sake...

"It took me a minute to figure out that it was a joke. I have to admit I did think it was funny."

"Thank You."
Np, hope you can fix it

Oh, and SidVicious, I figured out a way to repair it using silver, mercury and some medical instruments, interested on it? It's not as good as your thermal salad nor so yummy, but I think it will work xD

linux_0

Splendid
Chopped off. I was trying to install the heat sink when I pulled off the heat sink the processor came off with it. I assume with help from the thermal paste.

Repairing the pins will be practically impossible to do.

If the pins that broke are not critical the CPU might still work but don't count on it.

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Depends, got license?xD

bout my idea, is not that weird, dentists used to fill holes in tooth by pouring inside a paste made of silver (dust) in mercury (liquid), the paste (HIGHLY TOXIC) was put into the hole and then heated, the mercury evaporates and only leaves the silver filling the hole.

If you can make a mold of the missing pins and do this procedure, who knows, it might even work!! but silver resistivity is different than the pin's material.......

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Depends, got license?xD

bout my idea, is not that weird, dentists used to fill holes in tooth by pouring inside a paste made of silver (dust) in mercury (liquid), the paste (HIGHLY TOXIC) was put into the hole and then heated, the mercury evaporates and only leaves the silver filling the hole.

If you can make a mold of the missing pins and do this procedure, who knows, it might even work!! but silver resistivity is different than the pin's material.......

I'd be surprised if there were resistivity issues. Silver is an excellent conductor and it's used in some high-end audio interconnects. It does tarnish but I've read that there are workarounds. Not sure how well silver from a mercury amalgum would work though.

linux_0

Splendid
A highly qualified tech with years of experience and high end equipment MIGHT be able to do it. Not everyone has access to the equipment required.

Trying to solder something that small and delicate is NOT easy.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I would say one tool not mentioned..

A giant magnifying lens, with a light...

Okay... I know I'm getting old and my eye sight isn't as great as it use ta.. :oops:

linux_0

Splendid
I would say one tool not mentioned..

A giant magnifying lens, with a light...

Okay... I know I'm getting old and my eye sight isn't as great as it use ta.. :oops:

lol .... hehe :-D

The main problem will be the heat from the soldering iron may destroy the core.

Conductive glue might work but it's still very delicate work.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Now that I think about it - my dad also pulled a heatsink off is P4 last year, and the thermal paste tab (stock intel cooler with thermal pad) got stuck to the CPU, he was lucky though, as he only bent a few pins.

I agree, you need highly spealized equipment and a very steady hand to do that type of soldering, IF you can do it without heating up the surface.

Isn't there places nearby her, that fix PC boards? Maybe she can take the gamble and ask them to do a repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.