Broken PSU or motherboard?

meyerfizzle

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Recently, I was using my computer as usual, and it suddenly shorted out. It also started to smell like burning plastic after the short. All the power was lost and i had to flip the switch back and forth on my PSU for it to boot up again. Once my OS (Win7 x64 Ultimate) booted, it came out that my ethernet adapter was fried. Still not sure how it happened, but it did. Everything else functioned perfectly normal.
I used my 3-year warranty on my motherboard (MSI 970A-G45) to get a new one. I reinstalled the motherboard, and pressed the power switch on my case. I noticed that all the fan lights turned on and immediately turned off. I was afraid that I had fried another motherboard, but I googled it and came to the conclusion that it was probably the power supply.
I took my PSU out and tested the voltages on the 24-pin connector using a multimeter. Almost all of the pins carried the correct voltage except for a few. Some of them would be wobbling around a lot ranging from 2 to 9 volts, when it should be at 5.
At this point, I don't know if either my PSU is broken, or my motheboard is broken. Hopefully it's the PSU, as those are relatively cheap.

Specs:
AMD FX-6100
4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
320GB Caviar blue
GeForce GT 430
MSI 970A-G45
Raidmax Rhino Panther 450W Power Supply

Solution
the problem is not enough voltage ... is the voltage not stable.... if it give 9V to some device only need 5V they will burn out.... you should replace the power supply ASAP... I don't think any reason you cannot do RMA if it is under warranty... unless you have physical demage..

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
For the first time your MB dead you should not use that power supply ...
I would say is the power supply issue..... It run but the voltage is not stable...

Your MB looks ok... but don't try it again..... better change the power supply first...
and then if the MB not work do the RMA again..

meyerfizzle

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

I didn't think I could do the RMA more than once, but I was thinking the same thing. It stuck me as kind of odd how only the network adapter died the first time. Do you think I at least have enough wattage? Before I buy another one, i'll probably need some reccomendations.

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
the problem is not enough voltage ... is the voltage not stable.... if it give 9V to some device only need 5V they will burn out.... you should replace the power supply ASAP... I don't think any reason you cannot do RMA if it is under warranty... unless you have physical demage..

Solution

TRENDING THREADS