Question Broken RTX?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 17, 2019
Hey i think there might be something wrong with my graphics card, for some reason my friend is getting twice the fps in most games we play together, even thoe i have an rtx 2080 ti and he has an gtx 1080 ti

my card says it only uses about 40-50% in every game i play and he tells me his uses 70-80% so im just worried if there is something wrong or if its just some settings i dont know about. please help.

after about 1 hour of playing my gpu temp reach 66 degrees celsius and slowly climbing
my cpu satt idle around 45-50 like it always does
and the ram was staying around 7.0GB to 9.5GB that i saw atleast

we are both playing in 2560 x1440p

we play games ranging from war thunder, osiris new dawn, battlefield 1 and world war Z but for some reason he gets higher fps than me in all of the games we play

i would really appreciate advice and or solution.

My Specs

Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z390-f gaming s-1151
● CPU: i7-8086k
● RAM: 2x HyperX Predator 2933 (16GB total)
● GPU: Asus Geforce RTX 2080 Ti Rog Strix OC
● PSU: corsair tx750m 750W
● Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Pro CPU cooler

my friends specs

Motherboard: Strix Gaming Z270E
● CPU: i7-7700k
● RAM: 4x HyperX Fury 4gb = 16gb
● GPU: Strix Gaming GTX 1080Ti 11gb oc
● PSU (Unkown)
● EVGA Closed Loop CPU Cooler (CLC) 280

Jun 17, 2019
have you checked to see if the game settings are exactly the same? are you both on the same gpu drivers? are your games up to date?

I wouldnt think so im running a EVGA supernova 750w G3 and my card is just fine.
we are both running max settings on mostly all the games we play and i ask him about his settings in the games we played but for some reason he gets alot higher fps that me
is it possible that my psu is to small to give sufficient power to my rtx 2080 ti my power supply is 750W

Our systems are pretty much the same, i dont see why your 750w wouldnt power your system both of them are tier 1 units.

On top of my system specs in my sig I also run 2 SSD, a 6TB WD platter drive, 6 case fans, and a Sound Blaster ZxR sound card. Just incase you wanted to figure out total power draw.

Reactions: TommyEN
Jun 17, 2019
Our systems are pretty much the same, i dont see why your 750w wouldnt power your system both of them are tier 1 units.

On top of my system specs in my sig I also run 2 SSD, a 6TB WD platter drive, 6 case fans, and a Sound Blaster ZxR sound card. Just incase you wanted to figure out total power draw.
ah ok but thanks for your replies il monitor this thread for more suggestions

ELM2721

Prominent
May 28, 2019
do a virus, malware scan . You can use windows defender or Malwarebytes . And yea if you decide to go with the windows reset you will have to start from scratch or only keep some files like game saves, word documents etc..

Just a thought but where are your games installed? You said you have 6TB of games so i would guess that is on a standard platter drive, are his games installed on a SSD.

Not sure if HDD vs SSD matters for FPS but it just popped in my head, i know it does for load times but have never really heard anything for FPS. Guess tonight i could try it out between platter, sata SSD, and NVME to see if i get different FPS on a game.

Jun 17, 2019
Just a thought but where are your games installed? You said you have 6TB of games so i would guess that is on a standard platter drive, are his games installed on a SSD.

Not sure if HDD vs SSD matters for FPS but it just popped in my head, i know it does for load times but have never really heard anything for FPS. Guess tonight i could try it out between platter, sata SSD, and NVME to see if i get different FPS on a game.
i have my game installed on my HDD drive but games that i need to load fast in i have on ssd but i dont think that has anything to do with fps only loading speed i believe, but thanks for the suggestion

but what would be the first thing checked if your gpu didn't perform properly? leaving hardware out because i dont believe its a hardware issue anymore

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019
Get with your friend and put your 2080ti in his system. if its still underperforming compared to his 1080ti then the card is the issue. if it does better they his card then there is still an under lying issue with your computer.
good idea but a bit hard to pull off since he lives 2 hours away, but thanks for the suggestion.