[SOLVED] Broken screw stand off SSD M2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Yeah I will wait for more ideas. And in the meantime try to buy a new standoff.
About the clearance under the board, i think there's plenty of space.
But Im not sure if I understood the polymer washer and the nylon bolt. How can I use it to fix my problem?

Thank you
aVXvMyg.png

Ralston18

Titan

CaptAlvez

Commendable
Oct 9, 2020
Yeah that's correct
I've managed to get the part that was stuck out of the mounting point. But I have only managed by unscrewing the mounting point (let's hope I can screw it back into the mobo 🙏)

I guess the only way that I can make it work now is to buy a new standoff 😓

View: https://imgur.com/a/MrbxRG5

The green one is the mounting point in the mobo that had a part of the standoff stuck inside.
The red one is the stand off

View: https://imgur.com/a/IxqhAd8

This shows the motherboard without the mounting point

Ralston18

Titan
Do not reuse the broken standoff. Use a new one.

As for the mounting point (green circled in Post #4) that could be iffy. The original was probably press fitted into place but it does appear that some adhesive may have been used. That white material inside the hole....

If the hole can be cleaned and if the mounting point can smoothly, without force, go back into place with snug fit then a minute amount of superglue might work.

The hole should be as clean as possible and cleaned gently and carefully. Also do some "practice" runs beforehand to ensure that the new standoff will thread smoothly into place with little or no force.

No sure about the polymer washers and nylon bolt, etc.. How much clearance is available under the board.? And again all will need to be very clean and pre-fitted to ensure that it will all go together without force or risk of other damage.

Very sure that you want to get the build up and running again as soon as possible.

However, wait if you can. There may be other ideas and suggestions. Especially from someone who directly solved the same problem.

Reactions: CaptAlvez

CaptAlvez

Commendable
Oct 9, 2020
Do not reuse the broken standoff. Use a new one.

As for the mounting point (green circled in Post #4) that could be iffy. The original was probably press fitted into place but it does appear that some adhesive may have been used. That white material inside the hole....

If the hole can be cleaned and if the mounting point can smoothly, without force, go back into place with snug fit then a minute amount of superglue might work.

The hole should be as clean as possible and cleaned gently and carefully. Also do some "practice" runs beforehand to ensure that the new standoff will thread smoothly into place with little or no force.

No sure about the polymer washers and nylon bolt, etc.. How much clearance is available under the board.? And again all will need to be very clean and pre-fitted to ensure that it will all go together without force or risk of other damage.

Very sure that you want to get the build up and running again as soon as possible.

However, wait if you can. There may be other ideas and suggestions. Especially from someone who directly solved the same problem.

Yeah I will wait for more ideas. And in the meantime try to buy a new standoff.
About the clearance under the board, i think there's plenty of space.
But Im not sure if I understood the polymer washer and the nylon bolt. How can I use it to fix my problem?

Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

"But Im not sure if I understood the polymer washer and the nylon bolt. How can I use it to fix my problem?"

My thought was much the same as suggested by @Pextaxmx and the drawing in Post 14.

But with additional washer between bolt head and motherboard. And probably at least one nut along with the washers to match the height of the standoff.

The upper nut (between motherboard and SSD) being to secure the bolt to the motherboard so it does not drop down.

Key being quality nylon pieces that will not soften/stretch with time and heat.

Again pre-threading beforehand to ensure that the final assembly goes together smoothly without force and fumbling about.

And then taking care not to overtighten and deform the nylon when assembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.