Question Broken SSD pin but the drive still works !

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Hello everyone, so I have a Corsair MP600 LPX pro SSD and I broke part of the connector where it goes into the M.2 slot. Surprisingly the drive is still recognized and says 100% health. I'm planning to use this SSD on my PS5 . Just wanted to know if nothing will happen ? Do I lose on performance ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that would mean power to the drive is now across far fewer pins.

Depending on how robust the pins are in the Playstation or a Motherboard they may overheat when heavy writing is done.

I would use this for an external drive or something for less important stuff.

Reactions: aa1991aa
Most of those missing pins are +3.3V power and Ground. These also appear at the other end of the edge connector.

Pin 69 is PEDET and is not connected for NVMe SSDs.

Pin 68 is SUSCLK.

"32.768 kHz clock supply input that is provided by the platform chipset to reduce power and cost for the module."

I don't know if pin 68 is necessary, but you appear to have discovered that it is isn't. Perhaps your SSD produces its own clock?

Reactions: aa1991aa

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
there is chance that your ps5 wont recognize it, two configurations pins are missing, atm your pc detects it as pcie device with usb support, but who knows what will ps5 do with incorrect device plugged in
and is that drive writing correctly?
I tried it on my PC and it did work fine, Both write and read. I won't be able to test it on my PS5 until about a week. I'll let you know if it works or not.

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Yeah, that would mean power to the drive is now across far fewer pins.

Depending on how robust the pins are in the Playstation or a Motherboard they may overheat when heavy writing is done.

I would use this for an external drive or something for less important stuff.
Hopefully they won't overheat. I'll give it a try and if it did then I'll have to replace it.