Broken up image HD 7950

joltrik

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Hey,
Just finished my first PC build and all was going well till I left it running over night to install apps, games, etc. This morning I turned on the screen to find the image frozen, then the computer rebooted and now whenever I boot it up the loading screens all display correctly but the Windows 8 log in page is broken up with small squares, sometimes in diagonal, sometimes in straight lines (see pics).

http://i36.tinypic.com/ip1jba.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/104gfgk.jpg

I had the ASUS drivers on there for the video card and updated to the ATI drivers via ATI's website immediately before going to bed but I'm not sure if its related as I've rolled back to an earlier restore point created before the drivers and it's still happening.

Spec:
Intel Core i5 3570K LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Asus P8Z77-V
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2100mhz
Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda
Samsung 250GB SSD 840
Asus HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 V2
Samsung Internal DVD±RW Drive
Corsair 600t
Antec 520W High Current Gamer Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 8 64bit

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013

Hello there,

To me it sounds like your graphics card is overheating causing it to "artifact". Open your PC case and check to see if the fan/fans of the graphics card is spinning. The other possible reason is that the graphics card isn't sitting well in the PCIe socket. Maybe it's worth trying removing it and reinserting it in the slot, also check that the needed power cable/cables are inserted well in the card.

I hope this helps, and let's hope you get more replies from people suggesting a possible solution (if mine didn't help)

joltrik

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Thanks for replying.
I've checked the graphics card fans, power and PCIe sitting and all are running and seated firmly.

The card was running fine for a few hours, until I left it over night. Now immediately after turning it on and booting into Windows 8 it heavily artifacts, as seen in the image.
If I log in Windows tells me there is a problem and Windows needs to reboot.

I just took the card out and plugged into the mobo hdmi and it works perfectly.

Any ideas or suggestions would be hugely appreciated as I've search around and I can't seem to find solutions, though I'm not sure I'm using the correct keywords.

Thanks again.

joltrik

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Really? I've just done a few different PSU recommendation wizards and most indicate 600w, so I'm starting to think it might be contributing.