Broken usb port on external drive

iaxaxis

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Ok so i have a max drive 160 that i use for my ps3 and pc. Well i looked at it one day and the little peice where i plug in usb snapped off inside i think because i can hear something inside. Very important to me is the pictures and files on there. I thought i had it back up else where but i was mistaken. So really important that i find someone or something that can fix this. All i need to is be able to get data off i don't care if the caseing is broken.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Get a new USB drive caddy and swap the drive; or if it's just the USB connector that's broken, find someone who is good at soldering and ask them to replace it.

Celeste1

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

How do you get a new USB drive caddy and swap the drive?

You can purchase an empty external drive case and swap the drive. You will need to open up the current case, remove the drive, and determine if the drive is SATA or PATA, and if it is a 3.5" or 2.5" drive. You can then order a new case.

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

to comment on what he said above, a cas comes with...well a case lol, and some connectors that have the usb already in place, all you have to do BEFORE you buy the casing is, determine what type drive connection you have, and then buy the case accordingly.

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Well the replacement case doesnt matter as long as internally it matches with your broken drives innards.

The best i could tell you is, Once you open your current broken drive, on one of the sides, itll have the connectors, kinda like this ( generally speaking )

------------------------ ------------------------------------------
| o o o o o o o o o | | o o o o o o |
------------------------ -------------------------------------------

And these are the connector pins / slots on every drive, now my diagram are for older drives but you get the idea. ALL the drives sides will be solid exept the bottom which has SOME kind of plug in inlet. (kinf odf like above)

The difference being that the connectors could be for older drives, newer sata drives etc.

When you purchase a new drive bay/case/enclosing case, then inside of it, it will have ONE of these
connectors to plug in your new drive.

The only thing you have to do is make sure that its a compatible drive case hence my diagram above.
And thats it.

so in short, open your drive, look at the type of connectors it has, then take to store, and if your not sure, take drive with you and ask what case can you use and thats it lol.

Good luck.

IamAbs4real

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks took it to Currys and got a caddy for £6 in moments, just forced it open and it all made sense, simply unplug the HD and slot it into a new case.