Question Broken VGA to DVI-I adapter?

Jul 30, 2022
I just bought an adapter from a local computer store and went home to try it out, but when I plugged it in to my GPU I saw no post or bios in my screen, and after waiting till windows loads it displayed very weirdly. I've tried many screens but they all have the same problem (It isn't the dvi port, since I know it works as I've used other ports with it in the past). Weird thing is that my GPU doesn't allow me to change the resolution on the NVIDIA control panel, yet it says that it has a digital display connected to it. A lot of stores (Including online shops) sell the same adapter for a very expensive price and I have no other choice but to ask here. Anything helps

Intel Core i5 4460 3.2GHZ
8 GB Ram (7.90 Usable)
GIGABYTE GeFORCE GTX 750Ti

Jul 30, 2022
if your 750ti supports hdmi.. then I suggest trying an hdmi cable instead.

a dvi cable gave me problems a few months ago. Switching to hdmi solved the problem.

The problem is, that my monitor (Dell E1614Hef) doesnt support hdmi, and one time when i tried using the hdmi port on the gpu, it wouldn't show anything in my tv.
I'll maybe check the hdmi ports with other tvs, but I don't wanna use my PC on a huge flat screen tv

Weird thing is that my GPU doesn't allow me to change the resolution on the NVIDIA control panel, yet it says that it has a digital display connected to it
A lot of stores (Including online shops) sell the same adapter for a very expensive price
There is a reason some of those adapters are expensive: they really have to be in order to work properly. The cheap ones range from either not working at all, working very short time, through limiting max resolution to some very low numbers (might be the exact reason you can't change resolution) or just being unstable. In other words, quality matters here. In some cases it may be more sensible to just outright change monitor rather then trying to stick with old one and those adapters.
that my monitor (Dell E1614Hef) doesnt support hdmi
What input ports your Dell has?

Reactions: Tac 25
Jul 30, 2022
There is a reason some of those adapters are expensive: they really have to be in order to work properly. The cheap ones range from either not working at all, working very short time, through limiting max resolution to some very low numbers (might be the exact reason you can't change resolution) or just being unstable. In other words, quality matters here. In some cases it may be more sensible to just outright change monitor rather then trying to stick with old one and those adapters.

Well I don't have any money for a new monitor, but you're saying that cheap old adapters like the one I have just don't tend to work properly? If that's the case what about those VGA to HDMI adapters with the bulky casing on the VGA female port? Do the expensive ones matter too? Or is both the cheap ones and expensive ones the same thing?

And for ports, there's only VGA

Well I don't have any money for a new monitor, but you're saying that cheap old adapters like the one I have just don't tend to work properly? If that's the case what about those VGA to HDMI adapters with the bulky casing on the VGA female port? Do the expensive ones matter too?

Generally speaking all something to VGA adapters are problematic, except for DVI-A to VGA, but you need DVI-A port on GPU for that. The reason is you have to convert digital signal to analog, and the quality (and price) of chips used for that greatly affect the outcome.
You really have two options: the fast one - get monitor with HDMI port and that instantly solves all your problems; and the tough one - try the adapter after adapter until you find one that works well, and besides the fact that it most likely will take much more time there is also quite good chance it will end up being more expensive then first option.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Well I don't have any money for a new monitor, but you're saying that cheap old adapters like the one I have just don't tend to work properly? If that's the case what about those VGA to HDMI adapters with the bulky casing on the VGA female port? Do the expensive ones matter too? Or is both the cheap ones and expensive ones the same thing?

for a long time I have used only a VGA monitor as well. However, most of the newer gpu only have DVI and hdmi.. I was able to circumvent it at first by getting adapters, and was given an old DVI cable by the shop. However, it eventually became too much of a hassle. If money is an issue, you could try searching for used monitor on sale. My hdmi monitor is second hand.. got it from a korean surplus store for approx 115 usd.

getting an hdmi monitor would likely solve your problem. And even if it does not solve it.. an hdmi monitor is still a good investment, and we narrowed down the possible causes of your display problems.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS