[SOLVED] Broken videocard - Possible to use onboard chip with 2nd monitor?

Oct 21, 2021
Hi,

I have a laptop with a GTX 1070 which I assume is broken. I've tried up and downgrading drivers, reinstalling windows and even flashing the GPU bios. The laptop gets a blue screen on the windows login screen or shortly after. I can play videos via VLC without a bluescreen but as soon as I open Youtube it crashes again. Same with starting Photoshop or anything else that makes the GPU work. I've set the global settings in nvida control panel to onboard video chip but that doesn't fix the issue. The only way I can use the laptop properly is by deactivating the GTX 1070 via the device manager.

Best case would be that only the thermal paste needs to be replaces but I cannot travel to see a computer shop at the moment and I don't want to open up the laptop by myself. In the meantime I really want to keep using my 2nd screen / main monitor. As soon as I deactivate the GTX 1070 I cannot use any of the MiniDP or HDMI outs anymore. I also tried an USB-C to HDMI adapter but it looks like the USB-C ports on this laptop don't support video transfer. The last thing I can think of is buying a normal USB to HDMI adapter. Do you think this might work or is it simply not possible to use a 2nd screen after deactivating the GTX 1070?

Btw the temperature of the GTX 1070 is 50°C (Hotspot 60°) according to HWMonitor.

Kind regards

Solution
If you have windows 10 go to graphics setting, with your 1070 working, and look if it shows you both the 1070 and the onboard chip, if it does you can assign every program that crashes your 1070 to run on the onboard and it will still display through the 1070.

If you think that it could be a driver issue use ddu to completely remove the old drivers and install only the driver from the laptop webpage, it will probably be old but it's also going to be the only one that manages both GPUs correctly.
If you have windows 10 go to graphics setting, with your 1070 working, and look if it shows you both the 1070 and the onboard chip, if it does you can assign every program that crashes your 1070 to run on the onboard and it will still display through the 1070.

If you think that it could be a driver issue use ddu to completely remove the old drivers and install only the driver from the laptop webpage, it will probably be old but it's also going to be the only one that manages both GPUs correctly.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Solution
The graphics settings of windows, go to start menu and type graphics settings and it will show up.
Ka87GNV.jpg

+1 for trying ddu and download drivers from laptop manufactor site.

With some models you can disable discrete gpu from bios completely what model do you have? Hope it is software issue, if your only getting 60-70celsius under load it is nto temperature related