Broken Water Cooler H100i I7 3770K / High Temps

JohnBrowning

Reputable
May 20, 2015
Hello guys and gals so long story short , i've bought and mounted a new GPU , the 970 ,(old one was 660 TI) and after i installed the GPU drivers i've noticed the temps on my CPU were 90-100 on idle (they could have been before installing the driver) , the drivers weren't working properly so installed them again (crashing when starting a game) , now i have 50-60 on idle and 80-90 in game (GTA 5) , the load is about 50.
Now my PSU is 80+ 700w so it's more than enough for the GPU , c[strike]ould the heat sensors broken or something , [strike]because if i touch the tubing and the motherboard and the cooler itself it doesen't seem like 60 to me .[/strike][/strike] , touched in the right spot definately 60 degrees hot :(
BTW had the cooler for 1,5 years maybe 2 , and my idle before installing the gpu was 25-35 something in that ballpark.

[strike]Could the sensor be malfunctioning ?[/strike]
Could the pump be malfuctioning ?
The radiator has been cleaned and it's cold enough (little lower than room temp)
I've increased the fan speeds from 1500 to 2300 , just 2-3 degrees colder but the temp is fluctuating so it could be my brain playing tricks on me.
Also doubled the pump speed (or intesity) with no temp difference.
I will change it with the stock cooler later in the evening and post if things improve or not.

Also sorry for the wrong thread category :(

Solution
Airlock.

When you laid the case down and changed cards, you might have had an air bubble from the radiator make its way to the pump. Water pumps can't pump air, so this causes the pump to essentially not move any coolant.

Few things to try:

1) Turn on system, rotate case and tap the radiator and pump with your fingers to try and dislodge the air pocket.
2) Disconnect the radiator from the fan mounts (leaving the pump seated on CPU, of course, turn on PC and rotate radiator.
3) Ensure tubing runs are up/down in orientation and that if your radiator is vertically mounted that the I/O tubes are on the bottom rather than the top.

I'm not certain how you have the cooler mounted, but this is likely the issue if it hasn't been one...

JohnBrowning

Reputable
May 20, 2015

I highly doubt that the paste has been dried , because the temps were fine before i mounted the new gpu , i believe that the the paste drying is a process that happens over the time not suddenly , either way , i will check the paste since i need all the help i can get :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Airlock.

When you laid the case down and changed cards, you might have had an air bubble from the radiator make its way to the pump. Water pumps can't pump air, so this causes the pump to essentially not move any coolant.

Few things to try:

1) Turn on system, rotate case and tap the radiator and pump with your fingers to try and dislodge the air pocket.
2) Disconnect the radiator from the fan mounts (leaving the pump seated on CPU, of course, turn on PC and rotate radiator.
3) Ensure tubing runs are up/down in orientation and that if your radiator is vertically mounted that the I/O tubes are on the bottom rather than the top.

I'm not certain how you have the cooler mounted, but this is likely the issue if it hasn't been one before just now.

Solution

JohnBrowning

Reputable
May 20, 2015

Haha , did the first step ,it worked like a charm , i'm 35 dead on on idle, and 50 something in GTA 5 (forgot to mention the cpu is oced at 4,2 ghz , thanks sir.
BTW i couldn't manually pump it with my fingers since the tubes are very thick , but i fiddled with them gently.
PS i'm runnig a push cofiguration in a CM Enforcer case (which required some diy work to make fit ) , the coolers on top , the radiator grating (in which i've cutted out enterly for better airflow) and the radiator below.