Broken WD 2TB

Arnout_1

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
My WD 2TB External hard drive fell, and now it appears to be useless..
First, right after, it did work: it showed up in my computer, and I could even access it. Few minutes later however, it disappeared from my computer, and I can't seem to retrieve it ever since.

When I connect it my laptop, the light starts blinking, or it is a constant light (so at least, its getting power). It shows up in my devices, but not in my computer, and I can't even find it in Diskpart. I even used the WD diagnostic tools, which could find the disc, but allocated 0.0 GB space to it, and says it is fine otherwise (which it obviously isn't).

Anyone got some ideas what I could try?

Cheers,
Me

Solution
If you've taken the HDD out of the enclosure, you need to put it back in and try to access it with software tools that way. There is a chip in the enclosure that encrypts the data as it "enters" the drive. This is why, even if the HDD is accessible in some way, you will not be able to retrieve any data if the HDD is not in the enclosure.

D_Know_WD
Hi there Arnout_1,

That is really unpleasant. :(

Mechanical drives are really vulnerable to physical shocks/hits. Unfortunately, it looks like the drive has sustained some physical damage. As it shows up as having 0 bytes of storage capacity, it is most probably dead.
If the data stored on the drive is important, you will need to look for some professional help. You can check WD's Data Recovery out: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=dvZAVy

Taking the drive out of the enclosure would most probably not work as, the device is:
- Most probably hardware encrypted, depending on the model. You will not be able to access the data even if the drive inside works properly.
- It could have proprietary interface. You will not be able to attach it to SATA.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD :)

Arnout_1

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
Its quite unpleasant indeed..
The drive itself has no SATA port so the only way to connect it to something else is via USB. Using some softwares I'm trying to access the disk (which is found by most softwares strangely enough), but i need the I/O parameters which I can't find anywhere :eek:

Cheers,
Arnout

If you've taken the HDD out of the enclosure, you need to put it back in and try to access it with software tools that way. There is a chip in the enclosure that encrypts the data as it "enters" the drive. This is why, even if the HDD is accessible in some way, you will not be able to retrieve any data if the HDD is not in the enclosure.

D_Know_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS