Brookdale Chipset's DDR Version To Debut Early

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The DDR version of Intel's Brookdale chipset for Pentium 4 may be introduced earlier than the first quarter of 2002, its previously announced launch date, Paul Otellini, executive vice president at Intel, told analysts last week. The DDR chipset will "follow the introduction of the SDRAM Brookdale by one or two months," depending on how fast Intel can validate the DDR version, he said, adding that the SDRAM version is still on track for a third-quarter debut. Otellini confirmed that Brookdale has the capability of both single- and double-data-rate core logic on the same silicon, as the industry has long speculated.

I still expect RDRAM to outperform DDR on similar Pentium 4 systems.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What the hell is Intel doing releasing a regular SDRAM chipset? I mean, the Pentium 4 has a hard enough time performing well with RDRAM, so just imagine what kind of hit it will take with like 1/4 the bandwith that RDRAM has. It's non-sensical. I really have no clue myself what the performance difference will be between DDR SDRAM and RDRAM, but I sure am anxious to see.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

G

probobly because of all the whining from you people about rdram. everybody knows the p4 with rdram will whoop the p4 with ddr or sdr unless some amazingly higher clocked ddr comes out. the brookdale chipset is just going to be for cheeper systems, its going to perform like [-peep-].

G

I actually don't think so, I think Intel is releasing a SDRAM chipset is because people are afraid of RDRAM after what happened with 820, despite it will perform like crap. And yes, DDR must be clocked higher to succeed with P4. InPC2100 format doesn't have enough bandwidth to satisfy the P4. Look at how badly it performs when using PC600 RDRAM (It provides 2.4GB/ps), DDR on P4 may perform even worse.

G

> (It provides 2.4GB/ps)

2.4GB in a picosecond? Just think of the possiblities...you could download the internet!