[SOLVED] Brother ADF not recognized

Mar 24, 2021
Brother MFC-J5845DW copies/scans from flatbed only; will not use the automatic document feeder (ADF) although there is no problem getting the ADF to feed in maintenance mode. Seems like it might be a firmware issue. Brother product support is completely unhelpful. Suggestions?

Solution
Ok, I had to go look for a moment.

On mine part of the Brother Utilities app has an item called Control Center 4. It has selections for "Image", "OCR", "email", "file".
In order for this machine to scan off of the auto feed I simply load it to the machine, a light on the machine turns on. I can scan it from the machine itself OR I go to the CC4 program and hit "file", in my own case I changed preferences to ask me where I want to save and name. Once I do that and hit enter it just proceeds with the operation.
There is no where else in Windows that I can select to do a scan aside from lifting the top. Otherwise, in Windows and separate of the CC4 app I can only do that manner of scan and a traditional print. I can do both of those...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Brother MFC-J5845DW copies/scans from flatbed only; will not use the automatic document feeder (ADF) although there is no problem getting the ADF to feed in maintenance mode. Seems like it might be a firmware issue. Brother product support is completely unhelpful. Suggestions?

Fellow MFC user. The automated feed aspect only works from within the Brother Control Center app. Only the flatbed can be seen by Windows. We utilize the 2700 series at work and they have been really decent machines for the price.

Mar 24, 2021
Fellow MFC user. The automated feed aspect only works from within the Brother Control Center app. Only the flatbed can be seen by Windows. We utilize the 2700 series at work and they have been really decent machines for the price.
Nope; the Control Center app doesn't see the ADF either. Neither does the machine when copying or scanning locally. Very annoying. I would like to roll back to an earlier version of the firmware because the ADF used to work fine...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ok, I had to go look for a moment.

On mine part of the Brother Utilities app has an item called Control Center 4. It has selections for "Image", "OCR", "email", "file".
In order for this machine to scan off of the auto feed I simply load it to the machine, a light on the machine turns on. I can scan it from the machine itself OR I go to the CC4 program and hit "file", in my own case I changed preferences to ask me where I want to save and name. Once I do that and hit enter it just proceeds with the operation.
There is no where else in Windows that I can select to do a scan aside from lifting the top. Otherwise, in Windows and separate of the CC4 app I can only do that manner of scan and a traditional print. I can do both of those items on other networked computers without having to install the Brother (app/device) installer, so long as it's on one of the networked computers. I can not use the automated feed scan aspect without installing that Brother aspect.

I don't know if that's any help or not. Good luck finding your issue. Brothers "help" forums can be sparse.

Solution