Question Brother DCP-J315W printer has stopped printing.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Stone Micro-PC, i5-6400 with fully updated Win10

Hi all.

I cannot print from my PC to this printer any more. It shows up as the 'default printer' with a bright green 'tick' over it. It also shows as 'online'' and 'ready' - connected via USB

Its scanner works to the PC as normal, and it also works perfectly as a stand-alone copier.

If I open the 'printer queue' window to observe what goes on, I find:

Printing from a Word doc - clicking on print shows the Status as 'Spooling' for a fraction of a second followed by 'printing' for a ditto. Then it goes blank, but nothing actually prints.

Printing by right-clicking on a web page and selecting 'print' has the 'preview' appearing after a few seconds of thought (scrolling dots...), and then the preview appears as normal. Then on 'print' the status window shows the status as 'scrolling' for a couple of seconds - with the file size typically showing '47.9MB of 51.2MB' - followed by the status changing to 'deleting' for a second. The file shown in the queue then clears.

Printing a photo has the status going from 'scrolling' to 'printing' and then disappearing in the space of a second.

Ie - it all appears to go through the right motions (tho' not sure about 'deleting' showing when trying to print a web page?) but nothing actually prints, and the Brother's display doesn't change.

What I've tried: I've reinstalled the whole Brother driver and utility suite - Control Centre 3 - and tried different USB ports (which work fine with other devices). Following a similarish thread on here, I also tried SFC scannow, but this returned 'no issues'.

Any thoughts folks? Thanks :)

Reactions: zeromilesty
Jun 28, 2020
So glad I found this forum post! I too have a Brother DCP J315-W, it's always been a great printer but recently just stopped working. Just as the original poster said, it's as if everything is fine, it just wouldn't print.

I used the guide on here and got it working! Thanks! :)

Reactions: Frooby
Jun 28, 2020
So glad I found this forum post! I too have a Brother DCP J315-W, it's always been a great printer but recently just stopped working. Just as the original poster said, it's as if everything is fine, it just wouldn't print.

I used the guide on here and got it working! Thanks! :)

Well it worked for a while but now it's not working again at all and I can't seem to find an update to download (my Windows 10 version is now 2004).

Anyone having any further issues? :(

Edit - I got it working again. I reconnected my printer to the router. In Windows it still said the printer was offline so I ran the troubleshooter but this time it renewed the printer's IP address and then it worked!

Last edited: