Brother has no lag, I have a lot... Help!

Ringiku

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015
So I have been trying to get into PUBG and Sea of Thieves (yes I know they are both new/early access but I don't think that is the issue). My brother has been doing the same, we are both on the same WiFi, using the same wireless adapter with the same software (Netgear Genie) to support said adapter but he has 0 lag and I have a lot of rubber-banding and lag. He is also farther from our router (he is in our basement) whereas I am in the room above the one the router is in. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

• Wireless Information
    -Connection: Wireless
    -Provider: Comcast
    -Broadband: Cable
    -Make/Model: Asus: TM-AC1900
    -WiFi Adapter: Netgear AC1200
    -Security: Win Defender

Computer Information
    -Board: Gigabyte GTX A88X G1 Sniper
    -Processor: AMD A10-6900K APU 4.10 GHz
    -RAM: 32 GB DDR4
    -GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Windforce
    -PSU: EVGA 500W

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try your pc in the basement.

Your brother might be further away but his location might have less interference. Between you and router there could be interference from power cables in the walls or appliances in between you and wireless signal.

If moving to basement improves your signal you know its not your computer.

You could try a wireless extender to detour around a signal blind spot if there is one.

Or try Ethernet over power line.

Ringiku

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015
rontonomo, no his PC is more up to date than mine. I do not know is specs aside from the following

GPU: GTX 1050 TI
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
Also one of my roommates is running and older version is the adapter that I have and has spec similar to mine in terms of the generation of his PC components, again, I do not know the exact specs.

boju, I cannot move my PC from where is it due to my living situation so I have to work around that. However the router is less than 100ft from my PC. Also the house I live is was built in the 70's so the room with my PC wasn't wired for Ethernet and we are renting so we can't install that wiring.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try an extender. As i said in the line of signal from your computer to router. PC ------------------//-----------------router could be a dead spot, the signal cant get around properly. So an extender you could use to bounce from another location in the house. They only operate on power point with antenna.

Look up Ethernet over power and what it does. Iti uses the existing power cables in house for Ethernet. How cool is that.