Brother HL-4070CDW Printer Keeps Going Offline

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
About 4 month ago I brought a Brother laser printer "HL-4070CDW," one of the best printers I've ever brought. My problem is every now and then the print will go offline. This happens for the two of three computers I have. Two of them having Windows 7 and the third having XP which is fine. When the printer goes offline I can not put in online again. The only way to do this would be to uninstall and reinstall it. After awhile this became a pain. If anyone knows a way to fix please I would like to know how. Thanks

Solution

TheViper

Distinguished
You may have a dynamic IP address on the printer which knocks it offline when the IP address updates.

Print out a Network Configuration Report from the printer. Should be an option directly on the printer. Check the IP address. If the last digit gets changed around after a few reports, that's likely the problem.

Right click your printer and select Printer Properties (not just Properties at the bottom). Click the Ports tab, select your printer and click Configure Port. Should allow you to lock in the IP from there.

If that doesn't work, I have a more detailed option.

By the way, what method are you using to connect the printer to everything?

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

The printer is wireless so its connected to the router via wireless. Then the router connect to two computer wired and one through wireless

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

Sorry it took so long, the IP address does change and I do not see how to lock. It is changing more and more, so what is that more detailed option. Thanks

PAPAGPA

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

Have the same problem - the way round I've found is to switch the printer on before switching on the pc then it works - not very satisfactory 'cause if one forgets then one has to start the whole circus again..............

cary444

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Plug it directly into the wall. I don't know why but it seems to work. Suddenly this year ALL my brother printers started going off line and I read somewhere to plug them into the wall, NO power strip and it seems to work, fingers crossed.

GreenValleyGirl

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

What is the more detailed option? I am also having problems with a "dynamic IP address." I thought I locked it/changed it to STATIC in but my printer is offline again. I'm frustrated with this issue. It has cost me all day today and part of last Friday.

Any help will be much appreciated.

gfblack

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

HP1536dnf laserprinter off-line, had deleted and re-installed to get on-line.
Checked ip config under properties/ ports and found 'WSD' port selected. Changed to 192.16... standard tcp/ip and printer immediately began printing.
Thanks for your ip clue, you were absolutely correct!

GadflyJeff

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Thank you TheViper and gfblack

TheViper as gfblack has said has pointed us in the direction of the problem (a dynamic IP address), how to evidence this (printing from the printer) and where in "printer properties" a port change will need to be made.

gfblack has added value by having us look for a selected "WSD" port and directed us to change that to a standard TCP/IP port.

I think that I can now express this advice as a single process that includes more detail about changing the port and getting the "instant printing" result. This will work in a W8 environment. Others may confirm whether it works for W7 as well.

1) Through the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Devices and Printers, right click on the problematic printer.

2) Select "printer properties", not properties. Select the "Ports" Tab. If the "WSD" is ticked, this is the port that you want to untick and replace. You are unlikely to be able to do this immediately.

3) Click on the "General" Tab. Click on the Administrator "Change Properties" button (this assumes you are logged on with Administrator rights".

4) Re-select the Ports Tab. Click on the "Add Port" button. A list of Available Port Types will displayed. If a "Standard TCP/IP Port" type is listed click on it, if not click on the "New Port" button, Regardless, each will launch the same Wizard that will allow you enter to an IP address and port name that will become static, When completed, click on the "Next" and "Apply" buttons. The "Standard TCP/IP Port" will be selected and the"WSD port" will be un-selected. Any jobs that are in the print queue will commence (i.e., you might want to delete some pending prints you may have accumulated along the way).

Solution

pjbreyer

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I have a similar problem, my brother mfc5890cn printer and routing computers (wired) to a wireless router then wired to a linksys printserver with a static IP address- i have reinstalled and removed the brother printer and drivers from my win7 computer, etc. and i can still only print from my xp computer. i used to be able to print wirelessly via the wireless router but now even that option has stopped. could my linksys printserver changed address? yet that would mean my xp computer wouldn't work, correct?
help!

dbcoop

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
Thanks to the info provided here I was able to narrow down and fix my issue with my Brother HL-2280DW that was experiencing the same issues.

I couldn't find this "wsd port" so I ended up going to my router settings, checking the connections to my router and seeing what my printers IP was, then I changed the IP address in the settings area that is mentioned above.

jcoops39

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Sorry to drag this up again, but I have a similar problem that just doesn't want to be fixed.

The printer in question is a Brother MFC-J6510DW all in one. It's connected to 3 different laptops (2 running win7, the other vista) via wireless. All have the latest drivers and the printer is definitely allowed through all firewalls.

Port settings have been checked as per this thread, the IP is static on all machines. But the printer STILL goes offline whenever it feels like it, and then comes back on, seemingly with a mind of its own and completely randomly. It's getting to the stage now however when 'offline' appears to be the norm rather than on, and it's getting incredibly frustrating. I've been through he troubleshoot about a million times and even tried to contact Brother directly, with no response so far.

Any ideas, anyone?

cm1556

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
I am having the same thing. My MFC-7840w spends more time offline than not. While offline (which it really isn't), the firmware can't be updated and it can't be reinstalled.

I have used and loved Brother printers for decades, but I've had enough. Can someone recommend a B&W laser printer that doesn't have this issue?

PhilOry

Reputable
May 20, 2014
So what IP address are we supposed to type in?
Your post starts out with 192.16....and then stops.
What's the rest of the address?
For this fix to work we need the complete set of directions.
Thanks for your help in this matter.

Railander

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
i'm having a similar problem. none of the answers provided here seem to be the case for me.

we have 2 printers locally installed in a windows XP computer, and then we have a windows 7 machine used as a terminal server using the shared printers through the network.
for the past few weeks, the printers will randomly go offline in the windows 7 server, while online and working in the windows XP local server. rebooting the PC solves the problem, but it is now happening very frequently.

the windows XP server has a static IP assigned to it and can be correctly accessed through the network with said IP. however, it is like the printers are rejecting the connection.

I've seen options about deselecting "use printer offline", however there is no such option in the windows 7 server. it jumps from "sharing..." to "properties" in that menu.

this has been driving me nuts and i'm thinking in formatting the windows XP server and reinstalling windows 7 as a last resort, which will be a pain.

none of the steps mentioned in the thread worked for me (in fact, most of these options arent even highlighted for use). any ideas?

EDIT: not sure if coincidence or not, but for completion i tried logging in the windows 7 server locally, rather than using the Remote Desktop connection and the printers appeared as "ready". upon going back to RDC it was still showing as ready and printing normally.
i'll keep an eye on it and try the same thing again in case the problem repeats.

astallcup

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
I have the same issue with my wireless brother HL3070CW. It will randomly go offline. I have the ip address set to static and have that IP assigned to each print driver on each computer for this printer. My server hands out IP address and the ip address for the printer is outside the allowable range of IP addresses, so it is not like two items are getting the same address. Furthermore, I am not doing any subnetting, so I know my printer is on the same logical network as everything else.

The way I fix it is to turn the printer off, wait 2 seconds, turn it back on and it works fine as this causes the printer to be re-recognized over the network. I do not have to reinstall any drivers or anything. It would be nice though to have a fix for this. I have called brother, and they told me that this is the nature of wireless (typical its not my fault answer ).

captivater

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
This fix worked for me:

1. Assign the printer a static IP address via your wired or wireless router.
&
2. Disable APIPA on the Brother printer. The option is found within the printer's settings under Network.

Disabling APIPA prevents the printer from assigning itself a local IP when its connection to the router is broken.

After upgrading my Wi-Fi router, this started occurring. Implementing above steps has resulted in a solid connection for almost one month.

I also assigned Static IPs to the remainder of permanent devices on my network. Dunno if that was necessary, but my thinking is that it would free up some of the processing required by DHCP, reducing the risk for assignment error by the Netgear router.

johnham

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
The answers provided in this post may fix one underlying problem only to create another.

Most routers use dhcp to assign addresses to devices. DHCP has a whole process for devices to broadcast a request and routers to recognize that broadcast reqeust and broadcast a reply that results in the requesting addressing being assigned a unique address. The router then keeps track of which addresses it handed out and thus never hands out the same address to two different devices. To customers down on waist DHCP requires a periodic renewal of the address. So along with the address the router assigns an expiration. This tells the computer when to ask the router for a new address and tells the router when it may assign this address to another device. Most routers go the extra mile and do not release the address to a new device unless they show all addresses had been assigned. Only then will the router roll around and reuse expired addresses. It also tries its best to match devices renewals up with their originally assigned address to prevent complications caused by your address changing. NOTE HOWEVER: DHCP is not ever required to renew the same address to the same device. It is a given when using dhcp that your address is a "floating address" and could change at any time. The problem is that nearly every router forgets its assignment memory whenever the router is restarted. This causes it to start reassigning at the beginning of it address pool.

This is the cause of the first problem, which was properly thwarted in this post. ANY server needs an address that clients can find. A network printer is a print server and thus you computer needs to find it. It can do this 1 of two ways, name resolution and ip address. Name resolution is any of of a few technologies which change Friendly names into IP adresses (DNS, WINS, NETBIOS). All of these require a dedicated server to host a database that keeps track of names and their associated addresses, which are either typed in by an admin or coupled with a dhcp to know which names were assigned to which ip addresses. All of these except NetBIOS. Most small networks are not worthy of DNS servers or WINS servers or their administration. NETBIOS answers the call with a system that automatically chooses a device to keep track of the other devices names and addresses on a network segment. The problems are that NETBIOS takes time to collect the needed info by listening to the network, it is a Microsoft technology with limited adoption outside windows, and isn't always thorough. Brother printers and many other SMB/Residential print servers assume that name resolution will compensate for the fact that dhcp may change your printer's (print server's) address at any time. NETBIOS does not roll with ip address changes very quickly and your computer can easily end up "loosing track" of where to send you print jobs. The solution is to ditch DHCP on all server devices including print servers. By choosing an address and never letting dhcp or anyone else change it, then your computer can depend on where it needs to send prinot jobs.

So the easiest solution is to look on the printer or in your router for the printer's current address and just switch the printer to static and place the same address information in it. WRONG! This is the cause of your second problem. Without going into too much math and IP theory, for the most part in this application, each network block has 254 usable addresses. Routers use special network ip blocks of numbers that were kept off the Internet to prevent you from trying to communicate with Google and instead getting your printer's config Web page. These are a handful of these reserved network blocks but by far most routers areally configured for 192.168.x.y. The x represents a number from 0 to 254 which identifies any of 255 network blocks that your router can use. The y represents any of 254 addresses (numbered from 1 to 254) within the x block that can be .assigned to devices. The x you usually do not have to worry about because most router manufacturers choose a default one for you. Most choose x to be somewhere between 0 and 5. For our purposes we are going to choose 1. So our router will manage traffic for the network 192.168.1.y. The y is what dhcp and static addresses is concerned with. Inside every router you will find a set of dhcp options which say a variation of the following:
DHCP Start address
DHCP lease duration

When using dhcp we usually cut our 254 addresses into 2 types. The ones managed by dhcp and the ones that are free to assign statically. On fancy corporate dhcp servers we define a pool with a start and end address and a whole slew of options and ever address between those addresses is free for the dhcp server to assign to devices and keep track of. It is no different for SMB/Residential only we define a start address only. The rest of the addresses above that are considered dhcp owned addresses. YOU SHOULD NOT STATICALLY ASSIGN ADDRESSES IN THIS RANGE. For our example I will set the start address to 100. This means that my router now manages automatic address assignments for 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254. If I want my printer to have a permanent ip address, I can either go into my router's dhcp options and make a "dhcp reservation", go into dhcp and make a "static exclusion" or simple pick any unused address from outside the dhcp pool. The first option (dhip reservation) is fast becoming one not included in residential but basically tells the dhcp portion of the router to always assign the chosen dhcp address to the same device. This option survives reboots and is a quite reliable way to assign something that is as close to a static address as possible. You would leave the printer or other device set as dhcp and it would always get the same address and you could use that address in every client computers print driver. However like I said this is not always available. The second option (static exclusion) is never available on anything but the nicest dhcp servers. It basically tells the router to never use one or its addresses thus poking a whole in the dhcp address pool and making that address available for static assignment. With this option the dhcp would be configured to exclude one or more of the 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254 addresses. The device would be set to static and the excluded ip address would be configured manually on the device. The 3rd, last, best and always available option simply involves picking an address outside of the dhcp pool. You must pick an address that has never been used. In our example we would pick an address between 1 and 100. I would never pick 1 and avoid picking 50 as these are often used by SMB/Residential routers and wireless access points. You must keep track of these as it can be difficult to figure out what addresses have already been used. Running a ping on an address you are thinking of using and making sure nothing replies is a good quick check but may not always tell you when an address is in use by a powered off device. I am going to assume that this is a simple network with a router (which is always static) on address 192.168.1.1 and everything else on my network is dynamic (using dhcp). I will just decide to put my printer on 192.168.1.99 (the top end of my static addresses). I will then go to my printer, set it to static and type in my new ip address, subnet mask (255.255.255.0 in almost every residential case) and gateway (the address of my router 192.168.1.1). If you want advanced features to work you may also want to put in dns server settings from your is or router. Hint run ipconfig /all on any of your dhcp computers and find the dns server entries and put them into your printer. Last go around to each computer, go into printer's and devices and right click and select printer properties. On the ports tab create a new port and give it the new ip address as its address. Let it auto detect the type and when finished adding the port make sure you printer is assigned only to that port.

The problem with the above answers are that they have a high risk of causing an IP conflict which will cause all of the symptoms described above due to using an address in the dhcp pool without a reservation or exclusion. If you simply take your dhcp address and move it into your printer, then your router will assign that address via dhcp to another device the next time it is restarted.

It takes some work but if you do it right it will always work.

5stones

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Ok, first for quick, changing the check box in printer properties worked to get my computer to find the printer, but this detailed piece from John is probably why I suddenly had trouble with my printer. I assigned a laptop a static address so that I could get port forwarding to work for more than 5 minutes, but I didn't do it the way he explained ...but I will this weekend!

Thanks John

zoombazoo

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

I have a Canon MG6220 that does the same thing

Ian Ashton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

Ian Ashton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I just set up a Standard TCP/IP port and matched the IP address (at 'Printer Address' below 'Printer Name' ) to another computer that always works when printing.
This did the trick and printing resumed. Previously, the printer was connected to some "WSD" port that the Printer CD installed.

missthang911

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

THANK YOU! your comment really helped me. I realized I needed to get my printer OFF wireless/wifi and then turned it off and 2 seconds later turned it on and it begun printing what I had in queu! haha!

G

I have read so many of these threads and run into one problem or another. We are assuming that everything else is functioning (ie. printer is turned on, internet is working, usb is connected, or wireless router is set to recognize printer, etc).

People own so many different types of computers so go to your Control Panel (however you know how from your PC / laptop). On the left hand side see how your control panel is organized (1 - Control Panel Home or 2 - Classic View).

If it is:

1) Control Panel Home:

a) Click on System and Maintenance (should be on the top left in Vista) >
b) Administrative Tools (at the bottom) >
c) Services (a pop up window opens so click CONTINUE) >
d) Find "Printer Spooler" (in alphabetical order) > Click Once > On the left hand side you will see "STOP" service and "RESTART" service. Click STOP and disconnect USB > wait a few seconds > Re-connect USB > Click START service. Check your printer status. It should be either "READY" or ONLINE.

I'm not sure if printer is connected wirelessly what needs to be done after "STOP". Try this method and see what happens.

2) Classic View:

a) You should see "Admnistrative Tools" straight away and the rest of the steps are as above.

Hope this helps no matter what version of computer, windows, printers you have, and how it is connected (USB vs. wireless)

TRENDING THREADS