Question Brother's PC keeps shutting off and immediately powering back on

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
My brother's PC keeps turning off and immediately turning back on after it turns off. Usually happens whenever he is playing Warframe. At first I thought it was temps but we even got him a new cooler and is running at tops 70Cº. That didn't fix the issue and then I decided to run sfc scans and even updated his drivers.

That didn't work either so I went ahead and suggested it was the power supply. We got a new power supply and it isn't working either. I don't know where to head now, we've invested so much money into trying to fix this

PS: I've also done MemTest86 scans

PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
MOBO: Aorus b550 elite wifi
GPU: 3060 TI
PSU (NEW): Corsair rm750e
RAM: Ripjaws 32gb 3200mhz

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Is it only while playing Warframe? Doesn't happen in any other games?

If so, it may be worthwhile to check game specific forum(s) to see if this is an ongoing issue with others as well.

Typically if a system shuts down like that you are talking about power or heat. 70 really isn't very hot for today's cpus. How many fans are in the system and how are they oriented? Also, where is the PC? In other words is it one with a bottom mount power supply? If it's sitting on carpet for example, then it could be the PSU isn't getting enough air. In that case I recommend find something hard to sit it on like a couple of boards or some old tiles or something. But if it can be on a desk is a good idea.

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
Is it only while playing Warframe? Doesn't happen in any other games?

If so, it may be worthwhile to check game specific forum(s) to see if this is an ongoing issue with others as well.
It does happen with other games as well but not as often.

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
Check Event Viewer and Reliability History to see what event ID it is throwing and what it is logging.
ID is 6008 and then Event 41. This has been present for a bit. I checked the error through PowerShell and it says "RuntimeBroker.exe has initiated the power off for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: Power off

Should i try just disabling runtime broker through regedit to see if that fixes it?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Event 41, in this case, is expected. That 6008 may take someone smarter than me to help with.

When you built this system up, was the drive clean installed with Windows, or was the install brought over from another build?

I think it might be worthwhile to breadboard this build. Check every single connector for proper "snap in" connection and make sure that all the pins are solidly connected for each connector. Specifically, the 24 and CPU power pins.

I personally like G Skill RAM, and don't really feel like this problem relates to that, but are you using XMP/DOCP and have your tried running without it enabled? No other overclock or undervolt in place?

edit- other straw grabbing, what BIOS is in place on this mobo? Have any other settings within the mobo been changed aside from the above referenced XMP, and have you tried a CMOS reset?

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
Event 41, in this case, is expected. That 6008 may take someone smarter than me to help with.

When you built this system up, what the drive clean installed with Windows, or was the install brought over from another build?

I think it might be worthwhile to breadboard this build. Check every single connector for proper "snap in" connection and make sure that all the pins are solidly connected for each connector. Specifically, the 24 and CPU power pins.

I personally like G Skill RAM, and don't really feel like this problem relates to that, but are you using XMP/DOCP and have your tried running without it enabled? No other overclock or undervolt in place?
It had a clean windows install. I'll recheck all the pins although I rebuilt the PC yesterday. No overclocks, undervolts or XMP.

The only thing that changed was that I moved from houses, this didn't happen back in my old place and I'm sure the PC didn't get damaged with the drive because I had someone hold it all the way there. I'm so lost on what this could be.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
It had a clean windows install. I'll recheck all the pins although I rebuilt the PC yesterday. No overclocks, undervolts or XMP.

The only thing that changed was that I moved from houses, this didn't happen back in my old place and I'm sure the PC didn't get damaged with the drive because I had someone hold it all the way there. I'm so lost on what this could be.
It might be something as simple as a poor connection. If you have a voltmeter, monitor the PS_ON signal. Try jarring the chassis a little to see if you can reproduce the problem.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If you are now in a condo, apartment, or older home you may be having a power supply issue from the utility or wiring side of the service. I have seen where using a UPS can help with this.

reads above post, please don't beat on your system....terrible advice that part.

A buddy of mine moved into some condos and had a similar problem, but his sytem wouldn't start. We came to the conclusion that he needed a UPS, but the properties wiring was so poorly done that even it wouldn't work right until he brought it here to charge fully. He ended up getting the property owner to run a new dedicated line with a new breaker and things resolved.

You may consider trying to run this computer from a different circuit/breaker if it isn't already (than another or your system)

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
If you are now in a condo, apartment, or older home you may be having a power supply issue from the utility or wiring side of the service. I have seen where using a UPS can help with this.

reads above post, please don't beat on your system....terrible advice that part.

A buddy of mine moved into some condos and had a similar problem, but his sytem wouldn't start. We came to the conclusion that he needed a UPS, but the properties wiring was so poorly done that even it wouldn't work right until he brought it here to charge fully. He ended up getting the property owner to run a new dedicated line with a new breaker and things resolved.

You may consider trying to run this computer from a different circuit/breaker if it isn't already (than another or your system)
Thing is, I have two other PCs in this house and none of them have this issue. One of them is even in the same room as the one having the problem.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018

Here's some info from MS as to what is going on.

Start by checking your device drivers for updates.

Also, did you do anything with Windows update?

If that fails, get the program Who Crashed, install it, and intentionally cause the system to shut down by running the program that causes it. Then reboot and analyze with Who Crashed. It will tell you what happened in plain english, so you know exactly what happened.

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
Here's some info from MS as to what is going on.

Start by checking your device drivers for updates.

Also, did you do anything with Windows update?

If that fails, get the program Who Crashed, install it, and intentionally cause the system to shut down by running the program that causes it. Then reboot and analyze with Who Crashed. It will tell you what happened in plain english, so you know exactly what happened.
I haven't done anything with windows update, just checked for updates while trying to solve the issue.

Also is Who Crashed safe? I know it's probably an open source program but i haven't had the best experience with viruses before

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
I haven't done anything with windows update, just checked for updates while trying to solve the issue.

Also is Who Crashed safe? I know it's probably an open source program but i haven't had the best experience with viruses before
Absolutely. I use it myself. It doesn't really do anything until you ask it to analyze a crash, and all it does is read files and translate to plain english, which it outputs on the screen along with google links so you can do further research.

Let me know what Who Crashed give you so I can help do further research for you.