[SOLVED] Brother's PC suddenly tanked in performance, can't seem to find where the issue is. No hardware shows high usage, nothing *super* old.

Mar 3, 2022
Brother's PC specs-

OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Motherboard - MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)
CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
GPU - GeForce 3070Ti
RAM - 24GB Corsair, @ 1600MHz. Not sure of DDR version, can verify if needed.
PSU - EVGA Supernova NEX 750B 80+ Bronze

His computer has been running games just fine, until just a week or two ago when his FPS tanked hard, even on very old and non-demanding games. We thought the GPU was finally giving out, as it was an old 780Ti that I had already put through the ringer in many years passed, so he upgraded to a 3070Ti. Upon installing the new card, the issues still persisted and seem to have even gotten worse over time.

I had him run a couple games while monitoring his usage with resource monitor, and not a single thing showed significant usage. I made sure his drivers are up to date, I made sure both Windows and the Nvidia Control Panel are allowed to rev the GPU as much as they want, and I verified that Windows and various games do indeed recognize the card. I know the PSU is right on the edge of being able to handle a 3070Ti, but it's relatively new and these issues came up back when he still had a 780Ti, which takes less power.

Where else could this issue be? From my experience, everything on this rig looks like it's barely even trying very hard, despite giving him 15 FPS on something as old as Mass Effect 1. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
The RTX 3070Ti GPU card is too strong for the CPU. The before and after performance is getting worse, probably due to setting adjustments, which you are doing in the wrong direction... allowing
the system to rev the GPU as much as it wants is worsening performance... instead, you need to hold it back to improve performance, but you will probably have to end up replacing it for a weaker card that would be more compatible with the CPU.

The GTX 780Ti, when in good condition, was perfect for the CPU... but now the CPU is too weak for the RTX 3070Ti. Check the Bottlenecking calculation results for both cards. The second calculation includes the recommended CPUs for the 3070 card, and the third calculation suggests the right replacement...
The RTX 3070Ti GPU card is too strong for the CPU. The before and after performance is getting worse, probably due to setting adjustments, which you are doing in the wrong direction... allowing
the system to rev the GPU as much as it wants is worsening performance... instead, you need to hold it back to improve performance, but you will probably have to end up replacing it for a weaker card that would be more compatible with the CPU.

The GTX 780Ti, when in good condition, was perfect for the CPU... but now the CPU is too weak for the RTX 3070Ti. Check the Bottlenecking calculation results for both cards. The second calculation includes the recommended CPUs for the 3070 card, and the third calculation suggests the right replacement card for the Core i7-4790K CPU
(BTW; RAM is DDR3)

Intel Core i7-4790K and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti will work great together

Intel Core i7-4790K is too weak for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti

The perfect replacement GPU card for the Intel Core i7-4790K CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti will work great together

Last edited:
Solution