Brown gooey substance on ram

Sep 23, 2018
Hi, was trying to fix an hp 15 beats series laptop. The caps lock was flashing thrice on it so thought it could be a memory issue as described on their website. While reseating the memory I saw the ram and surrounding areas had this brown gooey substance on it. It has never had liquid damage. Any idea what this could be? It didn't work after reseating the memory anyways. Don't want to order new ram if this brown gooey substance indicates something else.
IMG_20180923_WA0005.jpg

IMG_20180923_WA0008.jpg

Solution
I suppose it is possible. I would guess cola that has dried. And it appeared to be splattered liquid. I think chocolate would have left more of an oil residue than what was in the picture. But who knows.

In either case, the most you can do is clean it off.
Sep 23, 2018
It has never had liquid damage though? The ram for this laptop is located underneath the motherboard. There are no signs of liquid damage anywhere on the board apart from this.

It doesn't necessarily mean liquid damage that you would notice it. Simply that it was exposed to a spill and it dried out.

Sep 23, 2018
Yea, I think you might be right mate. It has got to be some fizzy drink. I've opened up so many computers but have never come across something like this. My friend does like his cola :D

Once I was reaching for my wireless mouse. And there was this large glass of diet coke nearby. Nothing odd or unusual about that, but as you probably guessed the mouse ended up submerged in ice cold diet coke. I thought that expensive mouse was surely toast. But I dumped it out took the batteries out and hosed it down with iso-propyl inside and out. Then used a hair dryer to evaporate the alcohol. And long story short, I'm using that mouse right now.

Sep 23, 2018
Cleaned the board off with alcohol, couldn't clean the ram as the gooey stuff was stuck under the chips on ram too. Tried it with a spare ram i had it seems to run fine. Not worth investing in an ultrasonic cleaner lol. I think the residue is from chocolate. The laptop was placed on a chocolate bar and it had melted through the vents on the back. This has to be one weird case

I suppose it is possible. I would guess cola that has dried. And it appeared to be splattered liquid. I think chocolate would have left more of an oil residue than what was in the picture. But who knows.

In either case, the most you can do is clean it off.

Solution