[SOLVED] Browser and GPU acceleration

Dec 24, 2019
Hi!

I have noticed that while playing back videos on any website - in my case primarily YouTube - in both Chrome as well as Firefox, that the video decoding takes place as '3D' in task manager, and not as 'video decoding'.

I am wondering if this is normal. Is it not ineffective to decode video outside of it's dedicated decoder - more resources hogged as well as higher power consumption?

I am running the latest version of Windows 10 and GPU is an AMD RX 590 with the latest drivers installed. CPU is a Ryzen 7 2700 non-x.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I would probably point fingers at AMD's drivers on that one. Or youtube's code is simply better executed (or simply programmed that way) directly on the GPUs stream processors than through the dedicated hardware for video decoding.
Dec 24, 2019
Apologies. English is not my native language.

I mean to find out whether there is an issue or what my PC is doing is perfectly normal.

So - when playing back a video on Youtube or the like, the graph outlined with green sits at 0% and the graph for 3D gets the actual usage.

I would think that playing back video should result in usage in the green graph - am I not right?

If it's not decoding properly, it's utilizing too many resources from the system .

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know what the green graph represents. The colors change from system to system depending on your hardware configuration.

There is nothing wrong with your GPU doing tasks that it is good at doing.

That is basically what the hardware acceleration refers to. Your CPU is capable of it, but it is a general purpose processor, so it must run software to do it. Your GPU is physically designed for large amounts of floating point math, which is used in video decoding to undo the compression.

Dec 24, 2019
The green has been outlined by myself in MS Paint (hehe).

So I can conclude that it is perfectly fine that video encoding is beeing processed as '3D' by the video card/OS, and the graph for 'video encoding' is supposed to show 0%, even though it is encoding video?

(I thought the image would attach it self in the message but apparently it didn't, so image is in the link below:)

https://ibb.co/LxhsjPH

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would probably point fingers at AMD's drivers on that one. Or youtube's code is simply better executed (or simply programmed that way) directly on the GPUs stream processors than through the dedicated hardware for video decoding.

Solution