[SOLVED] Browser and Keyboard problem..

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
Firstly, I only know the basics to fix problems, at the mo I am tidying up a Lenovo ideapad 320 with W10 for a friend that is/was a slug, because he hasn't done the basic updates and security stuff in years.
It now runs really well, but with one big hitch, the keyboard works fine except on "any" browser search bar. Edge, Chrome, and today I downloaded Opera on my PC to a stick and installed it on the LT, same thing, cannot write in search bars.
I have tried the on-screen keyboard and tried a spare USB one, same, works anywhere on the machine except browser search bars.

Windows say nothing wrong, Lenovo Vantage says the same, have tried many fixes from the web with no luck, even done 3/4 system resets, but with keeping the guy's files. Tried software fix programs, nothing.

My thoughts are that Windows maybe corrupted in some way, though Windows says everything is OK.
Perhaps reset again without his files.
His Windows is genuine, bought in the UK, has a digital licence...

Any ideas....Please...................:giggle:

Lutfij

Titan
In all honesty if I were in your shoes, I'd try and make sure the laptop is on the latest BIOS version after using the serial number for the mobile computing device(into Lenovo's support site) since the laptop is yet functional. Now would also be a good idea to have the drivers found on Lenovo's support site pertaining to the laptop onto a pen drive. Then backup any and/or all mission critical data and then perform a clean install of the OS. You should fabricate the bootable USB installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Once you've reinstalled the OS, I'd manually install all drivers for the laptop in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. The OS tends to download drivers it thinks is right, which is why I opt out of connecting to the www during OS install. Once all drivers are installed manually, I connect to the www and let the OS do it's thing(update).

Since you've stated that the laptop didn't go through it's maintenance runs, I'd also disassemble the laptop to clean the venting off of any dirt or debris and perhaps remove teh factory thermal paste for some higher quality thermal paste.

This last step can be avoided if you're not confident.

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
I have just put his stuff on a stick and doing a reset, see what happens, if the same I will try your suggestions. The BIOS is up to date, I think Lenovo Advantage did that auto yesterday, in fact it did a few restarts yesterday....Thanks for reply..