kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
If I visit my friends site where he posts orignal art www.thejder.ca my system will hard lock. I use IE6 and Mozilla Firefox. Same lock problem. It happens on other sites too, just not all of them. Since the machine freezes I can no obtain any error info at all. The keyboard will not respond and the mouse won't move.

Asus P2B-LS Bios 1012 (bios settings all default)
Slot 1 Pentium II 400mhz (not overclocked)
512k ram (I tried different ram sticks in diff. locations)
Windows XP SP2 and all the critical updates done.
Installed MS Virtual Machine for Java support and later tried official un-install of Microsoft VM and mounted Java2 from Sun.

I can run this system all day on a game and it will run 3dMarks Game demos with no trouble. It only happens while browsing the internet.

I have tried the machine in a DMZ so that the firewall would not interfere.
I have tried scan discs and defrags and I have run drive fitness tests and ram tests.
I have disabled periphals like the sound card and CD burner.
I have grabbed the latest Macromedia Flash/Shockwave 7.0
I have matched every browser setting and permissions to two other working machines right next to it that have no trouble on the internet.

The only difference I could think was the problem machine is XP and the others are Win 2000 and Win 98SE, but after reading the article on Toms 300 hour test on all those processors it inpired me to solve this problem---with some help! /wink

Kshipper

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Yes the problem is still there. =(

Asus P2B-LS Mainboard
Intel P2 400mhz processor Slot 1
512 Ram
ATI Radeon 7200 Video
Win XP SP2

I have tried removing memory and tried known good memory and tried different memory slots. I have tried a different video card and a different Nic card. I have the latest bios for the mainboard. I have all the critcal downloads from windowsupdate and I am running the latest Direct X. I have tried disabling the sound card. I have tried basic video drivers instead of ATI video drivers.

I can run any program but if I am on the web I will lock up eventually. I lock up much faster on certain sites. Like the one I mentioned. I have 4 other systems here in the same room that do not have this problem ! I have tired Suns Java and I have un-installed and cleaned and re-installed the video drivers more then once and Macromedia Flash/Shockwave..more then once.

When the system locks, even XP doesn't know it happened. There are no errors in the Event Viewer and no hardware conflicts. I have tried variuous setting in the bios including the default setup.

The lock up occurs on Int Explorer 6 or Firefox! The only thing that disturbs me is I can not update the chipset drivers since Win XP is not supported. When I run the Intel utility it stops me cold and requests that I be running a supported oper. system like ME Win98 2000 etc. I hate to wipe and go back to Win98se unless I have to and I really dont want to do that after investing in WIn XP and the I Tunes subscribe too only supports Win XP/2000 too =(

Help?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I think you would have much better luck w/ win2k on that machine. An XP licence is backward compatable with win2k so all you need to get is a win2k disc. Win XP is a little much for that old machine.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Well I have stripped out all the hardware and I have begun installing Win98 SE since that was the operating system I had before. I will keep you all posted. So far I have had only one case of a lock on the screensaver of all things? /boggle I have all the patches from Microsoft and all default base drviers. I will be looking in the area of flashing the bios again and the chipset drivers. I will also try a PCI video card and or swap the power supply. It's really driving me bonkers.