Browser doesn't work after suspend

Dmo

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

I'm running a P4 based Asus Pundit box, with onboard LAN.

It connects to the internet through a Dlink 604T ADSL router/modem.

Everything works perfectly...until I put the machine into suspend or
hibernate. When the machine comes out of suspend/hibernation, I can't access
any web pages using IE, Netscape or Firefox. Newsgroups, email and MSN
Messenger work fine, however.

I have to reset the PC to get the browser to work again.

Any suggestions?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

don't suspend, it is bad for your pc

"Monster" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> said:

> don't suspend, it is bad for your pc

why is that?

--
Mac Cool

dmo wrote:
> I'm running a P4 based Asus Pundit box, with onboard LAN.
>
> It connects to the internet through a Dlink 604T ADSL router/modem.
>
> Everything works perfectly...until I put the machine into suspend or
> hibernate. When the machine comes out of suspend/hibernation, I can't access
> any web pages using IE, Netscape or Firefox. Newsgroups, email and MSN
> Messenger work fine, however.
>
> I have to reset the PC to get the browser to work again.
>
> Any suggestions?

FWIW, I have the same problem except that it happens without
suspend/hibernate (which I don't use) and, like you, a reboot is the
only fix; see the thread "Strange web browsing problem" in uk.comp.misc.
The couple of replies there suggested a virus/trojan/malware hijacking
the web proxy settings, or an issue with the MTU setting but neither are
the cause in my case.

I've got 4 machines on my LAN, 3 running XP and one running FreeBSD (one
of the XP machines dual boots FreeBSD as well), and have seen the
problem on two of the XP boxes (though not at the same time) and when
one machine is affected the others can still browse the web without
problems which points to it being an XP problem.

Regards,

Parish