[SOLVED] Browser download speed very low as compared to internet download speed

Mar 31, 2020
So I have 100mbps wifi internet connection which means I should get around 10-12 mb/s which is true as every speedtest showed the same results .While this is true for most of my platforms,I get a download speed of arounnd 0.2 - 0.4 mb/s which is very less comapred to what should I get.I checked on several sites to verify if its a server issue for a particular site but in every site I got the same results.

Is there any software limiting this?I even tried with incognito mode on and extensions disabled.

Solution
Try a download form a large site like microsoft. The issue you have is you actually are getting fast downloads with your browser. Speedtest is just a file download and upload. If you had said something like steam downloads at a different rate that is now using the browser. Speedtest runs in the browser so it should be limited by the same factors.
Try a download form a large site like microsoft. The issue you have is you actually are getting fast downloads with your browser. Speedtest is just a file download and upload. If you had said something like steam downloads at a different rate that is now using the browser. Speedtest runs in the browser so it should be limited by the same factors.

Solution
Mar 31, 2020
I am really surprised but that worked.I was able to download a file from microsoft at around 11.5 mb/s.

I am not able to understand the issue behind this that you mentioned.And why is it with most of the sites I download from

And Yes I tried from steam and epic games and got accurate download speeds

Last edited:
It likely is that the site that has some kind of limit. I know the nvidia takes forever to download video drivers and I have tried on multiple internet connections and mulitple computers. I can see a smaller company but why some huge companies have very low limits I don't know.

Lets say you wanted to do this intentionally. You would need some fancy QoS software that could limit based on the web site. Check that you do not have any of that stupid "gamer"network software loaded. it comes bundled with some motherboards. The worst offender tends to be killer ethernet chips.

Mar 31, 2020
It likely is that the site that has some kind of limit. I know the nvidia takes forever to download video drivers and I have tried on multiple internet connections and mulitple computers. I can see a smaller company but why some huge companies have very low limits I don't know.

Lets say you wanted to do this intentionally. You would need some fancy QoS software that could limit based on the web site. Check that you do not have any of that stupid "gamer"network software loaded. it comes bundled with some motherboards. The worst offender tends to be killer ethernet chips.
And what exactly is this software and how do I know if I have it installed.Is is the Nvidia Graphic Drivers coz I download and update them.By the way I have a laptop.I haven't downloaded anything related to gaming except the nvidia drivers

That is just a guess there is so much software that people can have installed it is just one of the very common ones we see here when people complain about very strange almost unexplainable network issues.

Video drivers should have no impact on a web browser network. The video card is barely being used when you are using a web browser.

Maybe try other web browser to see if the limit is someplace in the browser or someplace else. Key to your testing is to try so see what is similar between sites that have issues and sites like microsoft that do not.