[SOLVED] Browser freezing up during gaming sessions?

Woji__

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
Firstly, specs:
I5 7600K @ 4.2Ghz
8Gb x 2 3000Mhz RAM
RTX 2070 Super
asrock gaming k4 z270
2 SSDs ( 128Gb + 500Gb )

Internet speed: 100Mbps Download | 30Mbps Upload

The Problem :

For some reason, my browsers (Tried Edge, Firefox, Opera, Chrome) "lag" when I play games, I tested this with Rainbow Six Siege, Destiny 2, Minecraft, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Old Blood, The new order, the new colossus. For example, watching netflix or youtube and being tabbed into my game would result in the video starting to cut and essentially coming to a halt. However, as soon as i tab out, the video and sound resumes. I tried turning off hardware acceleration, turning it on, (using different browsers), and many more other things. I am not sure what I could do.

I play my games at 1440p with mostly max settings (i know the CPU is bottle necking hard but Ill upgrade that later)but surely that can't be it because I had the same issue when i had a 1060 6gb instead of the rtx 2070 super.
Is there anything I could to try and fix this ? It is getting rather annoying to refresh my tab every 30 seconds? I tried playing in full screen, fullscreen windowed / windowed fullscreen, borderless windowed and even windowed but neither showed a difference.

Solution
Ah, missed that. My next suggestion would have been to disable hardware acceleration in the browser but you have already tried it. I have a GTX1050 and had to disable GPU acceleration in Chrome/FF due to low VRAM causing video/graphics corruption and lock-ups in other software while gaming. Might want to try lowering your YT/Netflix stream resolution, h264/265 decode can get a bit CPU-intensive with software-only decode and scaling at high resolutions.

Woji__

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
Firstly, specs:
I5 7600K @ 4.2Ghz
8Gb x 2 3000Mhz RAM
RTX 2070 Super
asrock gaming k4 z270
2 SSDs ( 128Gb + 500Gb )

Internet speed: 100Mbps Download | 30Mbps Upload

The Problem :

For some reason, my browsers (Tried Edge, Firefox, Opera, Chrome) "lag" when I play games, I tested this with Rainbow Six Siege, Destiny 2, Minecraft, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Old Blood, The new order, the new colossus. For example, watching netflix or youtube and being tabbed into my game would result in the video starting to cut and essentially coming to a halt. However, as soon as i tab out, the video and sound resumes. I tried turning off hardware acceleration, turning it on, (using different browsers), and many more other things. I am not sure what I could do.

I play my games at 1440p with mostly max settings (i know the CPU is bottle necking hard but Ill upgrade that later)but surely that can't be it because I had the same issue when i had a 1060 6gb instead of the rtx 2070 super.
Is there anything I could to try and fix this ? It is getting rather annoying to refresh my tab every 30 seconds? I tried playing in full screen, fullscreen windowed / windowed fullscreen, borderless windowed and even windowed but neither showed a difference.

Pretty sure it is your CPU. Quad core/thread CPUs are starting to show their age some these days especially in multitasking applications. Open task manager while you have a game and browser video open and see what sort of usage you are getting.

Now really is a good time to upgrade with the release of Ryzen 3000 series. You can get the intel I5-9400F (no integrated graphics) for like 139 after a rebate currently https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-9th-gen-core-i5-9400f/p/N82E16819117981.

Personally I would spend alittle more and go Ryzen 3600 for the extra threads.

Woji__

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
Pretty sure it is your CPU. Quad core/thread CPUs are starting to show their age some these days especially in multitasking applications. Open task manager while you have a game and browser video open and see what sort of usage you are getting.

Now really is a good time to upgrade with the release of Ryzen 3000 series. You can get the intel I5-9400F (no integrated graphics) for like 139 after a rebate currently https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-9th-gen-core-i5-9400f/p/N82E16819117981.

Personally I would spend alittle more and go Ryzen 3600 for the extra threads.
Thank you for the reply, I already have my eyes on a CPU, ill be upgrading to the I7 9700k. Thanks for the help :)

InvalidError

Titan
Ah, missed that. My next suggestion would have been to disable hardware acceleration in the browser but you have already tried it. I have a GTX1050 and had to disable GPU acceleration in Chrome/FF due to low VRAM causing video/graphics corruption and lock-ups in other software while gaming. Might want to try lowering your YT/Netflix stream resolution, h264/265 decode can get a bit CPU-intensive with software-only decode and scaling at high resolutions.

Solution

Woji__

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
Thank you, I'll try lowering the resolution until I upgrade my CPU. :)