Question Browser is connecting to wrong server ip after changing from lan to wlan

Jul 19, 2020
3
0
10
0
Hello.
One of my customers has a domain which I don't know if I'm allowed to post here since it's from the "adult" niche.
The thing is we switched the hoster a few days ago. From ionos to fastcomet. Everything went fine, all content was transfered and worked after the change of nameservers (can't transfer the domain yet) after one day or so.
Then I had other things to do and nothing happend for a week. Then I bought a Fitzbox Wifi Stick (840 AC) because DLAN sucks here. That was thursday, I think. Today I wanted to contine the project but for some reason everytime I tried to login (site is made on wordpress) it either didn't work or I was logged in on the old server, which is still running but canceled. First I thought that there is some cache issue so I tried ccleaner but it still didn't work. Then I tried a lot of other things which I will mention in a minute.

To make it short: Everytime I go to www.xyz.com, I should land on server B but I'm always landing on server A. When I try it with my phone and mobile data it perfectly works, with wifi it sometimes does and then not.

I've also talked with the support of server B but they don't see any issue on their site.

Things I tried:
  • Deleting Cache, Cookies etc with CCleaner
  • flushdns, release, renew
  • Deleting Cache, Cookies etc in browser
  • Tried different browser
  • Started pc in safe mode
  • Restarted my router
  • Resetted the internet settings in windows***
  • Changed IP
  • Deleted hosts
  • Checked for viruses
  • Disabled DHCP
  • Windows troubleshooter
OS: Windows 10
Router: Fritzbox 7530
Wifi Stick: Fritz Wifi Stick AC 840
ISP: Wilhelm Tel
Location: Germany

***There was one point where I disabled DHCP and enabled it again to delete the cache of my router and at the same time I resetted windows internet settings so I had to connect my pc with through lan again (windows couldn't install drivers for my stick). After I installed the driver and connected through wifi it worked for maybe 30 minutes. Then came the error again.

So my question: can anyone help me with this weird problem?
 

ex_bubblehead

Champion
Moderator
It takes time, up to 10 days or so, for all of the DNS servers on the net to update with the new address. In the meantime just use the actual IP address in the broswer's address box. This is how things have worked since the beginning of DNS.
 
Jul 19, 2020
3
0
10
0
It takes time, up to 10 days or so, for all of the DNS servers on the net to update with the new address. In the meantime just use the actual IP address in the broswer's address box. This is how things have worked since the beginning of DNS.
Thank you for your answer. As I mentioned it worked 1 day after we switched to the new hoster and also today. It doens't make sense to work for half an hour and then stop. Usually changes to DNS are populated within 48 hours. Never heared about 10 days
 

ex_bubblehead

Champion
Moderator
Thank you for your answer. As I mentioned it worked 1 day after we switched to the new hoster and also today. It doens't make sense to work for half an hour and then stop. Usually changes to DNS are populated within 48 hours. Never heared about 10 days
Then you haven't read the specs. DNS changes have never been guaranteed to be instantaneous across the net. And, just because it worked once does not mean it will continue to work as the changes propogate. It's entirely possible that one or more DNS servers in the rotation that you accessed have not been updated as yet.
 
Jul 19, 2020
3
0
10
0
I just checked when we bought this server and it was on the 07.07. That's been 12 days ago.
Additionally I think the issue is within my network. Router/Stick/PC
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY