Browser Problems

hi folks, I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. If not
please point me in the correct direction.

We have a NT 4.0 domain that we are getting ready to upgrade to W2K3. As
part of the upgrade we have established a private network (of the ten dot
series). When we started placing units (servers and workstations) on the
ten-dot network they were not able to properly connect to the units on the
public network. Both the public and private networks are on the same
backbone using a single router.

In an effort to fix the problem we dual-homed the PDC and BDC. But the
Domain Master Browser started dropping items. We intend to slowly move most
units to the private network but have been stopped dead in our tracks by
units not talking to each other when not on the same network as well as the
DMB problem. We have looked up information on the MS site and have attempted
to follow the instructions in their Q188305 and Q191611 articles.

Can someone provide us with help on how to get units on the same physical
wire to be properly registered in the Domain Master Browser as well as talk
to each other as neighbors should.

Russell-S

Hi Russel,

"F_Lasting" <FLasting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> hi folks, I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. If not
> please point me in the correct direction.

It's been asked and answered on this forum at one time or another
so I would say yes.

> We have a NT 4.0 domain that we are getting ready to upgrade to W2K3. As
> part of the upgrade we have established a private network (of the ten dot
> series). When we started placing units (servers and workstations) on the
> ten-dot network they were not able to properly connect to the units on the
> public network. Both the public and private networks are on the same
> backbone using a single router.

You are missing quite a bit of details but can we assume routing was
correct e.g., ping by tcp/ip address was successful from the private
to the public? If so then your problem wass most likely name resolution
e.g., WINS or LMHOSTS.

> In an effort to fix the problem we dual-homed the PDC and BDC. But the
> Domain Master Browser started dropping items. We intend to slowly move
> most
> units to the private network but have been stopped dead in our tracks by
> units not talking to each other when not on the same network as well as
> the
> DMB problem. We have looked up information on the MS site and have
> attempted
> to follow the instructions in their Q188305 and Q191611 articles.

You need a router in between the two subnets in order for them to
communicate
but you do not need two. Browsing problems will occur when you have a
multihomed master browser. The PDC is always the domain master browser
or in W2k or higher DMB role holder and cannot be multihomed, the result is
a seperate list for each subnet.

> Can someone provide us with help on how to get units on the same physical
> wire to be properly registered in the Domain Master Browser as well as
> talk
> to each other as neighbors should.

Remember that NetBIOS is needed in order for browsing to occur that means
no firewalls in between or enabled.