Browser SSL "Real Site" Error -- PLEASE HELP!!!

gregsuarez

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
This whole weekend I have been plagued by the dreaded browser SSL error. It is only affecting Gmail and Facebook (and embedded FB plug-ins on other sites). I get a Chrome error when trying to access these pages saying the security of the page is in question, something is interfering with my secure connection, and it will not allow me to proceed. The error page also states that this condition is usually temporary, however it has been "temporary" for 3 days now. This error happens in all web browsers tried (Chrome, Explorer, FF). It also happens across three different computers on the same network (Win8.1 laptop, Win7 laptop, Chromebook). The error comes and goes, for apparently no reason I can figure out; sometimes Gmail and FB are accessible, sometimes I get the error (mostly I get the error).

Note, the IE error states that it thinks the site's address is being rerouted.

To add even more confusion, instead of the browser error, every now and then I will get a Norton page blocker pop up instructing me the site is not secure.

Here's what I have tried so far with no luck:

- Typing "proceed" on the browser page
- Rebooting the modem (Time Warner Cable ISP) and resetting the router
- Synchronizing the internet time
- Entering Google and Facebook in Windows' "Trusted Sites"
- Made sure my router's clock was correct on the router's set-up page

Could this be a DNS error? Is there something within my router set-up page that could have been corrupted (note, I never access that set-up page to do things like port assigning, or anything like that - I leave it alone)? Should I just get a new router?

My wife works from home and relies on these sites for her business, so I am desperate at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.