Question Browsers: Can I use an old version of Firefox?

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
I used to love Firefox but the latest editions have taken security to such ridiculous lengths that it gets in the way of the user experience. Particularly my two favorite add-ons - a translator and a spell/grammar checker.

Is it possible to install an older version of Firefox and prevent it from updating?

Or can anyone recommend a Firefox clone that can use the banned addons?

I am currently using Vivaldi as it can use Chrome addons (Google have also banned most addons in chrome alas) but I find Vivaldy quirky and the legacy addons don't work well.

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
The thing is, I was trained in Risk Assesment and it is clear that few other people have a clue. One incident of something going wrong and panic! Throw the baby out with the bathwater! cover your arse. Protect me from being sued. Never mind the poor user!

The fact is that "insecure" browsers have not led to massive financial losses or inconvenience and therefore the extreme security measures being put in place are NOT warranted by the facts. There is just no sense of proportion. I've been in computing since the year dot and have had the occasional glitch caused by malware or a virus but nothing I couldn't deal with and over the years the occurrence was insignificant.

Banks have the same blinkered outlook, or maybe they just pander to their client's unfounded fears. I also used to work in banking IT by the way.

CYA is the real reason for all this, not yours or mine security!

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
+1 for SeaMonkey but... Actively updated? Last time I checked, the last release was autumn last year. And not all FF addons work in it anyway (some can be tweaked to get them to work).

I agree that the current security paranoia is a bit much; I'd much rather use an outdated browser with NoScript rather than the latest one that allows to track me everywhere.

So I suppose that's what you can do - use an older version of FF (or SM), disable auto-updating and install NoScript as well.

Still, I'd recommend having the OS shielded from a non-safe browser, either in a virtual machine or Sandboxie, and don't use it for critical applications. Then keep an updated installation of FF in the main system when you need it.

TRENDING THREADS