Browsers crashing in Windows 7 and 8

Dimensions

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hi guys,
Would really appreciate if some one can help with what is becoming a huge headache for me. I am having this issue for a few days.

My browsers, both IE and Chrome do not work. I click them, either I get a message saying that the program stopped responding, or they freeze or they open the startup page in a weird configurations, as if the graphics are not set properly (text mushed together, flickering screen etc). None of the browsers stay stable after a second or so. I see the same problem with Steam client - the text gets jumbled up and it freezes. It also fails to load at system startup. The problem started with Windows 7, and I tried everything, ultimately doing a clean install of Windows 8, but the problem continues.

My specs:
i5 3570K processor, Asus PZ68V-LX board, corsair 8MB ram (4x2) 1300, Asus Radeon 7850 Graphics, 128 GB SSD (system), 500W power supply.

These are the things I have already tried.
1. Replaced the graphics card with an Nvidia 280 card, same problem.
2. Tried to boot in safe mode with networking, problem persists.
3. Uninstalling and then reinstalled video drivers, flash player and browsers, no help.
4. Reinstalled windows 7 (atleast 4 times, once after disconnecting the other hard disks and formatting my SSD). No help.
5. Malwarebyte and Avast scans, nothing found.
7. Disabled page file, set page file to 16mb, disabled DEP in BIOS - no change.
8. Reset winsock, ipv4 and ipv6 - nothing.
9. Core temp failed to show temp spikes, CPU-Z also failed to show any processor issues. Memtest from clean USB boot and windows' own disk scanner could not find any errors.
10. Finally, upgraded to windows 8 but browsers still crash when started.

Interesting to note, IE8 (only the 64bit) was relatively stable. Also, the metro, fullscreen version of IE10 in win 8 also does not crash.

I am at my wits end here. Can anyone please help? I have scoured the internet and tried most of the solutions provided, as you can see above but so far nothing has helped. Would really appreciate your help.

Solution
try:

- Windows Install on normal HDD disconnect SSD.
- Diffrent windows setup.
- When fresh installed Windows on normal HDD try browing with ONLY the ethernet driver for internet on.
- Single module Ram not more.

If possible even try to keep browser on without drivers at all.
Try Driver>>test>driver>test etc.

You also can run your PC without GPU...!
Let me know how you progress.

PS. great job at trying to find out whats wrong, i am almost clueless myself as well i guess there is not much left then trying for us.

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013
try:

- Windows Install on normal HDD disconnect SSD.
- Diffrent windows setup.
- When fresh installed Windows on normal HDD try browing with ONLY the ethernet driver for internet on.
- Single module Ram not more.

If possible even try to keep browser on without drivers at all.
Try Driver>>test>driver>test etc.

You also can run your PC without GPU...!
Let me know how you progress.

PS. great job at trying to find out whats wrong, i am almost clueless myself as well i guess there is not much left then trying for us.

Solution

Dimensions

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Thanks a lot for the reply. Will give these a shot. I had tried the onboard GPU as well after taking out the PCI one - no dice.

If not a solution, atleast if I can get an idea where the fault may lie. Right now I don't know if its a hardware or a software issue. And if its a hardware issue, what do I need to replace to make it goa away.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013

I know its really annoying but going all minimal on your Hardware build should help and adding stuff one by one, id recommend trying with another PSU as well who knows we can only guess but i am strongly feeling that the motherboard is broken or whatsoever.

i am assuming you have chipset drivers installed?

i think as a last resort id try a bios update but its risky sinds it might fail? check the manufactorers changelog, maybe it says something about your problem, if not i dont think it will help.

Finnaly what i can HIGHLY recommend in this situation, try installing Linux instead of windows on get on the internet and install steam, see if it works, this will atleast rule out software problems.

Linux is nice these days and easy, be sure to check out the best version for your needs.

Be sure not to make the mistake some cables are dead ;),

Dimensions

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Did update the Bios and chipset drivers. No help. I will try the PSU upgrade, its the oldest piece in my computer and I never got around to replacing it. Linux seems like a good idea too. I have never had a linux based system so it may be a way for me to learn about it too.

Thanks for the help.