Question Browsers Stop When Downloading

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Suddenly, any time I download a big file, one single file, the browsers stop working and give a INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND error.

In other words, the internet connection still shows as connected, the download works just fine, no problems with the download, but nothing else can be done until it finishes. No surfing websites, no downloading more than 1 file at once, etc...

I got a new router not long ago and I am not sure if this started then or after I started having windows 1o issues. And it may be the router that even caused the windows 10 issues, for all I know.

Anyone have any idea why this would happen? It's pathetic if you can't download a file or else your whole internet is locked up until it finishes. And I looked through router settings and can find nothing. This is a $150+router and I never had this issue with my years old one.

Lutfij

Titan
How are you connected to the internet via your router? Wirelessly or via the Ethernet port? For either case, are the drivers up to date? You didn't mention the make and model of your router. Furthermore, mind sharing a link to where you're downloading files? Which browsers have you tried thus far?

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
it's any site I go to, ethernet, edge and firefox, asus blue cave. totally same pc, browsers, etc... as usual. just suddenly started noticing it do this. And I already had another issue where AI can never turn off or restart my pc or windows 10 won't start again and forces me to reset win 10. Someone said that is usually related to network issues, too.

Tech has become pathetic now. Anything I buy ends up with major issues. I have to plug my external hdd in, unplug, plug in, unplug, plug in, etc... literally 10+ times before it works, either. Makes me think I should not trust WD for my internal ones.

Anyway, basically what it's doing is using the full bandwidth for the 1 download, apparently. The download is extra fast, but then nothing else works until it ends.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I see "QOS" settings for the router, but surely a router would not have default settings telling it to use full bandwidth on 1 download where you can't even go to websites during it. I've never had to change a router's settings before to avoid this crap and I'm not so sure QOS would fix this issue, anyway. And ps search engines have become flat out PATHETIC. I can't tell you how many issues I've searched solutions for in search engines and gone through pages and pages of results and it almost never has an answer for any of my tech issues.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Unbelievable nobody knows the solution, I have typed almost every phrase imaginable into search engiens with nothing even related to this showing in results, and the router manufacturer had my reset the router….. still happening and waiting in queues for a long time.

Apparently I'll have to hook up my old router too, to confirm it's the router, but whether it is or isn't I am wasting tons of time with nobody helping.

edit: now after wasting time in queus, they say I should send it in for service. yeah, I'm so sure that it needs anything physically done to it to stop this... Now I am going to have to waste time testing my older router, then if it's for sure the new one with issues, I'll be without it for who knows how long and have to change my security for it when they send it back. Also, I originally bought 2 of this same model and then returned one. If this is faulty, how great that I kept that one. lol. I HIGHLY doubt it's that anything is faulty.... it's likely going to end up being either an issue with all routers of this model or some setting, and I am supposed to go without it for that...

Last edited:
Not sure what you were searching. The error message you get pretty much says microsoft push out another crap patch and broke the edge browser. Maybe it breaks more than just that. It does not appear to be related to your router. It should be pretty easy to test by using a different device. I bet it is only your pc that is affected.

You can search for that message but it look messy to fix sometimes. This appears to be the failed update they tried to push in october that they pushed out again in the last few weeks. They fixed some things but I know people were complaining that it messed up a bunch of video games performance.

Try to follow the instruction you will find if you search that error. It is really only suppose to affect the edge browser.

You should also be able to uninstall the latest microsoft patch.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Not sure what you were searching. The error message you get pretty much says microsoft push out another crap patch and broke the edge browser. Maybe it breaks more than just that. It does not appear to be related to your router. It should be pretty easy to test by using a different device. I bet it is only your pc that is affected.

You can search for that message but it look messy to fix sometimes. This appears to be the failed update they tried to push in october that they pushed out again in the last few weeks. They fixed some things but I know people were complaining that it messed up a bunch of video games performance.

Try to follow the instruction you will find if you search that error. It is really only suppose to affect the edge browser.

You should also be able to uninstall the latest microsoft patch.
Nope.

1. it haoppens in any browser I try.
  2. I just now tested with my old router and it works flawlessly. I then went back to this current one and it still has the issue in any browser.

I certainly agree MS is crap, as I constantly have windows 10 issues. But this is clearly related to something about the router, be it settings or something wrong with it.

I have yet another issue where I can never restart or shut down this pc or the pc freezes and on the next startup it says it can't load or fix windows and I am forced to go through a 2 hour process of resetting it and re-downloading my programs.

It constantly tells me I have new windows updates, but then it can never install them due to these issues. I'm tempted to try to fix that issue, but I am building a new pc soon so it seems like a waste of time.

But this issue regarding the router and downloading makes me mad. I've only been using the router for a few months and already going to have to send it in, apparently, as nobody knows the solution and it has the latest firmware installed, too.