Browsing speeds slowing whenever downloading something

mkvdv

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Hi, We've recently had a new router installed and a problem has came up which has NEVER happened before getting a new router.

The problem is, whenever I download something in my browser, my browsing speeds get super slow and my internet in general gets slow whenever the downloads exceeds atleast 10mb/s it seems to throttle my speeds, this is becoming an issue as I often tend to multi-task and download files in the background while I'm browsing, but this has made it almost impossible to even load up a google page as it gets stuck on loading, and the moment I disable the download my internet returns back to normal.

Is it possible that my ISP is throttling my browsing speeds everytime I download something?
Thanks for the help.

Solution

Unlikely.

Bandwidth is limited, you are always sharing available bandwidth with other tasks running concurrently. Don't know why it didn't happen before, too many variables. Are you running this download on the same machine as the one browsing? Can attempt to lower the download task's priority see if it helps (task Manager). Torrent clients would have some sort of limiter built-in. If download on another machine, other users on the LAN, it is a good practice these days to implement QOS, manages priorities on LAN allowing fair access to Internet for all users.

Unlikely.

Bandwidth is limited, you are always sharing available bandwidth with other tasks running concurrently. Don't know why it didn't happen before, too many variables. Are you running this download on the same machine as the one browsing? Can attempt to lower the download task's priority see if it helps (task Manager). Torrent clients would have some sort of limiter built-in. If download on another machine, other users on the LAN, it is a good practice these days to implement QOS, manages priorities on LAN allowing fair access to Internet for all users.

Solution