BSOD 0x0000007e Cause

StealthArsenal

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Hello everyone,

Just yesterday my work machine began BSOD'ing and restarting itself out of the blue. I have not installed anything new or added any additional peripherals. The event viewer reads the following:

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff808248fd7f0, 0xffff8780598cb738, 0xffff8780598caf60). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 41f37f3b-343f-4927-ab75-6178868e1f45."

At this point, I am unable to figure out what is causing this issue. It seems to reboot the machine every couple of hours. The stop code seems to be a vague as they come.

Any ideas on this one?

System Specifications: - This is a built computer not a premade.
Windows 10 Pro
i7-4790K @ stock speeds
Gigabyte Z97x-ud3H
8gb DDR3 Crucial
Geforce GT610
Kingston SSD Now 120gb SSD

Thanks
Chris

Solution
Too hard to say without the actual minidump file. You can upload it for analysis here:

http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze

Bugcheck 0x0000007e is usually related with driver issues, most frequently with graphics card, but RAM and hard drive issues can also cause it.

Suggestions:

1) Perform memtest
2) if memtest passes, try removing the GPU and using only your iGPU from CPU for a while and see if problem persists. In fact, your integrated GPU is actually faster than that Nvidia card, believe it or not... the only caveat is that it will consume a portion of your RAM.
3) if it does, check your event log (system) in control panel for errors, and see if there are any red ones (critical) that say "disk". Perform disk check with...
Too hard to say without the actual minidump file. You can upload it for analysis here:

http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze

Bugcheck 0x0000007e is usually related with driver issues, most frequently with graphics card, but RAM and hard drive issues can also cause it.

Suggestions:

1) Perform memtest
2) if memtest passes, try removing the GPU and using only your iGPU from CPU for a while and see if problem persists. In fact, your integrated GPU is actually faster than that Nvidia card, believe it or not... the only caveat is that it will consume a portion of your RAM.
3) if it does, check your event log (system) in control panel for errors, and see if there are any red ones (critical) that say "disk". Perform disk check with other tools as well, just in case.

Solution

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
My suggestion is that before you run memtest reseat your RAM. Take it out, blow it off, blow out the slots, replace the RAM and then run memetest. A lot of things can cause internal components to loosen up a little so whenever I perform a memtest I always remove the RAM and clean the slots before replacing it and running the test.