BSOD 0x0000007E volsnap.sys Windows 7 64-bit (Dump File & Sysdata Files Included)

Justin Bowen

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
I have been getting blue screens occasionally (maybe once or twice a week now) on a 2-year old gaming system I built. I try to keep all my drivers up-to-date. It is a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit based system. I use Avast! and MSE for active virus protection. I have 2 USB hard drives (although only 1 has been connected lately) and a USB webcam. I have several cloud drive services that are connected to my desktop. I can't seem to find a pattern to when the BSODs happen, it is usually pretty random. It can be a short or long time after the computer has been running. Never on startup however. It does not usually happen during gaming but during basic desktop use (internet browsing, managing files, using desktop software, etc...). Until now I haven't been able to check the error codes so I am assuming the previous BSODs had the same error. Regardless, this is the error I received today while using the internet.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88001ABDD6E
BCP3: FFFFF8802006B7C8
BCP4: FFFFF8802006B020
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

*** volsnap.sys - Address FFFFF88001ABDD6e base at FFFFF88001AA4000, DateStamp 4ce792c8

A link to a .7z file which has my minidump and .xml files can be found here. (How do I attach files to a post?)

My computer specs are:
MOBO: BIOSTAR TPOWER x79
CPU: i7 3930K 3.2GHz 6-core
GPU: NVIDIA 670 4GB x2 (SLI)
OS DRIVE: 128GB SSD
DATA DRIVE: 2TB HDD 7200RPM
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600

I've read there could be several causes for the volsnap.sys issue and the 0007e codes, such as Avast, video capture devices, graphic drivers, low hard drive space or USB drives. I've performed a System Check with 100% results. I am low on hard drive space (about 4GB left on OS drive, less than 40GB left on data drive). Of course I'm not sure what these specific errors mean (which is why I'm asking). Any help provided is appreciated. Happy to supply any additional information needed.

Solution
volsnap.sys is Volume Shadow Copy Driver. When you move files around on your machine the system will put the copy process into the background and free up the UI so you don't have to wait. it is this driver that does the copy in the background. It works pretty well until there is a error on one of the devices you are coping to. USB drives are slow, and very error prone. (some more than others) you can have one working very well, then plug in another USB device into a hub and the first device can not function correctly. I would suspect that a copy function returned a error that volsnap.sys can not deal with. in this case SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED was returned because volsnap.sys was given a address to use that was...
volsnap.sys is Volume Shadow Copy Driver. When you move files around on your machine the system will put the copy process into the background and free up the UI so you don't have to wait. it is this driver that does the copy in the background. It works pretty well until there is a error on one of the devices you are coping to. USB drives are slow, and very error prone. (some more than others) you can have one working very well, then plug in another USB device into a hub and the first device can not function correctly. I would suspect that a copy function returned a error that volsnap.sys can not deal with. in this case SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED was returned because volsnap.sys was given a address to use that was invalid and could not be accessed. (like it was trying to copy a file in the background and someone removed the drive for example)

I guess I would start by taking a look at what windows thinks is happening with your USB devices and hubs. You can do this by getting usbview.exe from microsoft. it is in the windows debugging tools standalone package. the setup up program will just dump the various tools to your drive so you will have to go to the directory and find the file and run it and take a look at what it shows.
here is the link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852365.aspx
select the standalone debugging tools, or it will copy the entire ddk to your hard drive.

you should describe the usb hard drive you are using. is it a spinning hard drive? or a solid state?
any USB device depends on
BIOS
CPU chipset drivers
and if USB 3.0 any custom 3rd party chipset driver.

when you have problems you look for updates to all three of these.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS