Question BSOD 0x0000009c

Nov 13, 2020
Hi. Since I built my new computer, it keeps freezing when I play most of my games. After a lot of research (and even taking it to a repair shop that told me nothing was wrong), I isolated the problem to probably CPU or motherboard. I keep getting MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error and when I use a tool to read the BSOD it is the error 0x0000009c

Already tried memtest, even physically took off one of my two RAMs, tried it, then tried the other RAM, the temperature of the CPU never goes over 60. I have 16Gb of RAM and it never got to more than 80%. All my drivers are up to date, including Bios. No overclocking. My specs are:

ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I59600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
CORSAIR CX Series CX650 650W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

Here's a link to my memory.dmp: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anu04ocLDAyegaM6L8AqDjkLstwhuQ?e=F0wWWE

Hope I put in everything needed

I guess my question is: is there a way to know which part really is causing this? It's driving me mad not being able to play a game more than 10 minutes...

Nov 13, 2020
Ok so so far it seems to work, been playing a benchmark game for 1 hour 15 without any glitch whereas before I couldn't play more than 10-15 minutes max. But I am wondering: If my memory is supposed to be 3200 and my motherboard is supposed to be able to go up to 4200 for RAM, why wasn't it stable at 3200 ??

EDIT: OK Nevermind all that. Just to be certain I tried a second game which I had a lot of problems and it didn't take even 10 seconds when I got in, computer completely froze and got the same MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD....

Last edited:
Ok so so far it seems to work, been playing a benchmark game for 1 hour 15 without any glitch whereas before I couldn't play more than 10-15 minutes max. But I am wondering: If my memory is supposed to be 3200 and my motherboard is supposed to be able to go up to 4200 for RAM, why wasn't it stable at 3200 ??

EDIT: OK Nevermind all that. Just to be certain I tried a second game which I had a lot of problems and it didn't take even 10 seconds when I got in, computer completely froze and got the same MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD....
At least that tells you something. One game can play for an hour with no problems and another won't go 10 seconds before crashing. To me that would suggest a problem with the drivers or operating system.

Nov 13, 2020
At least that tells you something. One game can play for an hour with no problems and another won't go 10 seconds before crashing. To me that would suggest a problem with the drivers or operating system.

The first thing I tried when it started to happen was to format and reinstall windows. From there I immediately installed my "benchmark" games and they were still crashing (after upadting windows and GPU)... At this point I really do not know what to think anymore or how to diagnose this.. This is driving me crazy...