Question BSOD 0x00000124 - Dump File included

Aug 6, 2022
Hey guys, today I ran into a BSOD with the following code: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffff810424e02028, 0x00000000fc800800, 0x00000000060c0859) and the dump file, which I uploaded to OneDrive (it may show an outdated BIOS, because I updated it after the dump was created): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au9gKhj7ZhyzhCbIA2TbwtVWs061?e=FfTdFw

A second error in the event history also said something about "Machine Check Exception" and a hardware failure concerning the RAM. Now I posted this dump file in another forum already and the person helping me found out, that the problem is the following:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
IMAGE_NAME: AuthenticAMD.sys

However, the helping person couldn't really pin down the problem, so I was pretty much left with updating stuff and then pray. I updated the BIOS, chipset, all other drivers coming up on my mainboard manifacturer's website. I was wondering now if anyone here can figure out a more exact problem or if that truly is everything that the dump file states. The person also suggested that WHEA errors usually are connected to PSU failures, but I couldnt really find anything about that on the web.

System: R7 5800X CPU, RTX 3080 Strix 10GB GPU, 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (3200MHz), B550 A-Gaming MB, 850W RM850 PSU, Windows 11 Home.
For the record, Motherboard, GPU and PSU were bought brand new in March 2022, so they are still pretty new. The RAM is running with the DOCP Profile to use the full 3200MHz.
A good-to-know fact is also that the ram was extended from 16Gb to 32GB at the end of 2021, which means I have 4x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (3200), but they were bought in two seperate 2x8GB sets.

I had this BSOD about 1-2 months ago and decided to check the RAM with MemTest and the built-in Windows diagnostics tool, which showed no errors for all 4 modules.
Another question, maybe connected to this: Can that BSOD be connected to the GPU? I've had a few problems with graphics drivers lately and was hoping that I don't have a faulty GPU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
System: R7 5800X CPU,
RTX 3080 Strix 10GB GPU,
4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (3200MHz),
B550 A-Gaming MB,
850W RM850 PSU,
Windows 11 Home.

Machine Check Exception AKA WHEA errors are hardware errors called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it.
can be caused by heat
can be caused by overclocking, both software or hardware. Remove MSI Afterburner if installed. Remove AI Suite (probably part of Armory crate)
Can be caused by any hardware.

i will ask a friend to convert dumps but I rarely get anything useful out of WHEA errors. It will show software at least

2 sets of ram can cause errors, did the new sets coincide with errors?

try running this overnight - - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Aug 6, 2022
I don't have any overclocks besides the DOCP profile for the RAM to get it to run at 3200MHz instead of 2133MHz, Afterburner or AI Suite have never been installed on the machine (I also didn't install it with Armoury Crate, cause I knew that I'd not need them) and I don't think that it's caused by heat, cause my CPU rarely goes above 70-80°C (cooled by an AIO and 10 fans in the O11 Mini Air Case) and the GPU also never runs hot above healthy temperatures. I also ran Furmark for about an hour and it was absolutely fine.

When testing the ram sticks back then they didn't show any errors, no. I tested them together and then every single one on it's own and also in their respective pairs in which they originally came. No errors, no crashes in the process. However, the event history keeps saying that there was a critical hardware failure concerning the RAM (Machine Check Exception). The problem is that I can't recreate the crash on purpose, because it doesn't happen often. That way it's impossible for me to just swap out parts and see what happens. That's why I was hoping that the dump file could somehow clarify the source of the problem.

I'll run the program and see what happens.

Aug 6, 2022
I don't have any overclocks besides the DOCP profile for the RAM to get it to run at 3200MHz instead of 2133MHz, Afterburner or AI Suite have never been installed on the machine (I also didn't install it with Armoury Crate, cause I knew that I'd not need them) and I don't think that it's caused by heat, cause my CPU rarely goes above 70-80°C (cooled by an AIO and 10 fans in the O11 Mini Air Case) and the GPU also never runs hot above healthy temperatures. I also ran Furmark for about an hour and it was absolutely fine.

When testing the ram sticks back then they didn't show any errors, no. I tested them together and then every single one on it's own and also in their respective pairs in which they originally came. No errors, no crashes in the process. However, the event history keeps saying that there was a critical hardware failure concerning the RAM (Machine Check Exception). The problem is that I can't recreate the crash on purpose, because it doesn't happen often. That way it's impossible for me to just swap out parts and see what happens. That's why I was hoping that the dump file could somehow clarify the source of the problem.

I'll run the program and see what happens.
I ran Prime95 for about 2 hours (didn't have the time for more right now) and it ran without any problems, no crashes, no errors.

Aug 6, 2022
Sadly no, I just had another BSOD today with the same error codes, even after all the updates. I decided to order G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2x16GB) Ram sticks and will test the system with them, because I'm kinda suspecting that my 4 Corsair sticks are the problem.
Today I also kinda figured out that playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla for a while seems to force the crash to happen instead of it appearing randomly, so I'm pretty sure that I can test it with that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Getting 4 sticks to work together that aren't in a set can be difficult. Did you start getting BSOD just after adding ram or has it only started recently?

Can you supply all dumps for all crashes as one might mention a driver name. I have this rememberence that MCE errors are normally caused by software drivers.

Aug 6, 2022
I think I installed the additional RAM in december 2021 together with the new 5800X CPU and I think problems started in january 2022. So yes, the problem could have started after adding ram, but I'm not too sure about that.

Here is a link to the two dumps, which both occured this weekend: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au9gKhj7ZhyzhCbIA2TbwtVWs061?e=hS6g99

I know that I posted another thread in february (on a different website tho) describing the same issue, but the dump file from that is sadly not available anymore. However, this means that the problem already existed before I changed the motherboard, GPU and power supply. That would, in my opinion, pin it down to CPU or RAM.

Colif

Win 11 Master
run Prime 95 for longer, its meant to run for about 17 hours, so maybe run it overnight or something
its only test we have for CPU

it also checks the ram but you could also run this on ram
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Aug 6, 2022
So just a little update, I swapped out my 4x8 Corsair Ram for 2x16 Trident Z Neo Ram and had no crashes since. I'll continue the testing tho, could be a coincidence.